Nice to meet you

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2winds, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 2winds

2winds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2017
    IMG_5385.JPG IMG_5371.JPG hello, my name is Rachel.
    My husband has kept chickens in our back yard for about 6 years, but I was pretty much hands off except for collecting eggs & occasionally helping clip wings. Last winter his flock of ten birds was reduced to one, due to relentless critter raids, & exaustion. I casually looked for his last hen each day when I went out back, & rarely did I find her. She never slept in the coop any more. After a couple weeks, I saw her feathers under one of the redwood trees, & there she was, 2 stories up in the tree! That was when I began to like her personally, & took an interest. I decided to get her back in the hen house. While we were working on that, she got into the neighbors yard & was attacked by their dog. I rescued her that day, & that's when I promised her she could count on me. I fortified her house, & started trapping the critters who hunted her. She has survived a lot of trauma & isn't regarded by most, as an attractive bird, but her scars make her beautiful to me. About four months later, I heard about a rooster who was also the sole survivor of his flock, & needed a home. I went to meet him & brought him home that day. They bonded immediately & are inseparable (even with hens having been added since then). Since they are both sole survivors I named them Amber & Boston Rob. It was because of the bond that formed as I nursed Amber back to health after the dog attack, that I discovered chickens as invividuals. Before, I viewed my husbands flock as one. Not noticing they're individual personalities! Anyway, now I'm hooked. I enjoy the challenge of keeping them safe, & look forward to hatching some chicks next spring.
    Thankyou for your time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    TwoCrows likes this.
  2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Byc!! Great to have you!

2winds likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

What a scary story! I am super glad you were able to save Amber! Sounds like Boston Rob needed a wonderful home too, one that only you could provide. Very pretty birds! :love

Thank you for sharing your story! Make yourself at home here and we hope you enjoy BYC! :)

2winds likes this.
  4. 2winds

Jun 18, 2017
    Thank you

TwoCrows likes this.
  5. 2winds

Jun 18, 2017
    Thanks for welcoming me.

TwoCrows likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Rachel, chickens have their own charm. Your intro sounds like so many others. Everything loves chicken but, in the wrong way. Once they get a free meal they will keep coming back till the kitchen is closed or they die of lead poisoning.

:welcome

2winds likes this.
  7. 2winds

Jun 18, 2017
    Lead it is, no more free chicken dinners at this address!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by