Nicest most mellow rooster you can have?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldielocks, Sep 20, 2009.

1. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    I have a SLW rooster that is a pretty rough fellow when it comes to the girls. Some bloody heads, combs and getting real close to the eyelids. Is there a rooster that is very mellow and calm. My rooster attacks each hen as it gets down off of the roost!!

Any ideas please?

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My OEGB roo he sits in my lap and purrs at me. [​IMG]

3. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    Stew pot and get a Salmon Faverolles cock

4. lovemychickies

lovemychickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    I hear that Cochins are notoriously mellow and friendly. I've had three over the years. All were just great boys.

I rehomed two to homes with small children and have only had great reports. I should also say however, that they've all been bantams.

Good luck!

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Two thumbs up [​IMG] [​IMG] for my buff orp roo. He is not overly aggressive to the ladies nor to anyone who comes in the yard.

6. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    Love my cuckoo maran rooster. Treats the ladies really well. He coos them, warning them before he does his duty. No torn up hens because they are not surprise attacked. He also calls them over to food and lets them eat first. If something/someone he doesn't know is near he tells the ladies and they scatter while he stands guard. He's a sweetheart.[​IMG]

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I've had 4 roosters before - A buff orp, a RIRxOrp cross, a Cuckoo Marans, and a EE Bantam.

I would've given ANYTHING to have kept my cuckoo marans rooster, he was such an AMAZING boy! The only reason I did was because he was just too big for some of my girls that werent XXL sized. He was gentle with the girls, protected them, and was such a sweet boy to us. And not to mention he was GORGEOUS.

The EE bantam that I took in is a great boy. A bit over zealous with new birds (aggressive) But after he knows its not anouther male, he calms down. Otherwise hes protective, and doesnt bother us at all. I dont know about with mounting, as he cant mount and the girls chase him off if he even thinks about it.

The Buff orp was sweet at first, but then he was a evil cur. So was the RIR/Buff orp. Both were rough with the ladies, and the RIR cross wasnt even a protector.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Great question! [​IMG] I'm rooster shy myself after reading so much about how mean they can be. So I've wondered myself if there are certain breeds that are more prone to gentleness...

9. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    ChickenWisperer said: The Buff orp was sweet at first, but then he was a evil cur.

Yeah that! Once the girls started laying and letting him do his rooster thing at will, he thought he was King of the World and went to work terrorizing my kids. When he sneaked up behind my 4 year old daughter and scratched/flogged her while she was picking peppers, the momma bear in me came out and he had to go to freezer camp...

I have heard good things about Welsummer Roosters. I think we are going to try one of those next. We never wanted a rooster in the first place, but it turned out to be nice to have him as the chickens free range most of the day. I hope we can find a nice one...

10. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Our Welsummer roo is fantastic--he's the only roo I have ever had who did not end up in 'freezer camp'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by