nieghborhood rooster

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by DPC poultry, Jan 8, 2011.

1. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    I have a roo that I like A LOT but in my neighborhood we arent aloud to have poultry, my coop is in our woods and my roo is starting to crow pretty loud and my dad says i have to get rid of him, any suggestions?

2. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Give him to a friend so you can still visit him? Is your dad just concerned that the neighbors will start complaining? If so, maybe you can just go talk to your neighbors, maybe they can come meet him. Maybe if you check with them and get the ok, then they'll be ok with you keeping him and not report you. Basically, if your neighbors are happy, you won't get "found out". But remember, he can be heard from pretty far away! Good luck!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If I were you, I'd get rid of the roo now, in hopes that no one will complain about the hens.

There's a nasty neighbor in every neighborhood (speaking from experience) and SOMEBODY will rat you out just for the heck of it, then the city will know about all the chickens and make you get rid of the girls too.

4. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    thanks for the help and im giving him to a friend
    Quote:

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    My Grandparents used to have a big farm in Mt. Washington KY, and now it's all developed. And you can't have poultry. That's sad to me.

Ironically, if you live in Louisville, which has never been a farming community, you are allowed 5 chickens and a rooster I think!

Sorry you have to get rid of your guy. I've got 6 that I'm trying to place right now too.

6. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Quote:Check out your state's Right to Farm Act. In California, they are pretty lenient on land that was once used for that purpose. Check yours out!

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can give him to Kyle so you know he has a good home and you can visit him. I sold mine at a 4h auction to make sure he went to a good home. That one was special, but I had too many.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by