Nieghbour's new cat (very cute) and my call ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priss, Feb 5, 2011.

1. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Our neighbours new can has just found out she can get into my garden. My four call mutt ducks free range in my back garden all day. I am always at home with them and work in the back room of the house so I can keep an ear and an eye on them. The only predator we get round here are foxes and badgers, both which don't come out in the day (well during the big fox days I work in the garden, or put keep the ducks in the run with the electric fence on.
    Butttttt, the neighbour's cat has always been fascinated by my ducks. Sitting on her side of the fence looking in.
    This morning she has been right in my garden, I caught her walking through them and sneaking behind the hut to watch them. The ducks haven't given the warning call, she hasn't attacked them. Nobody is in pounce mode and she is a very little cat. But I'm not very happy about it and have been chasing her out just in case.
    Will this get worse?
    Anyone ever lost any full grown (albeit small) ducks to a cat? A pretty small cat?

PS
    She is a very beautiful cat.
    But my ducks are adorblz [​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I was scared for my ducks with my own cats and I sat out in 100 degree heat most of the summer to make sure my cats didnt go near the ducks. In the end the cats got chased by the ducks and learned their lesson, even tho both are weary of each other. I also have a stray cat who lives here. You cant get near Tom, he is here all winter getting fat on my expence, he lives on the other side of the wall from my ducks and for me is a deterant for any other critter that goes in there. When winter came and breeding season stopped he came back more often and would walk across the duck yard to get into the house, the ducks would walk after him all quacking up a storm as if to say, Hey who are you, what do you want. Its quite funny to see a ferral cat...a fat healthy well fed ferral cat I might add, walking with a line of ducks after him all quacking and him trying to walk FAST but steady, You can tell hes scared of the ducks when they do this and when he gets near the other end of the duck yard he runs thru the fence (cattle panels) and the ducks chase him that last 10 feet or so. The ducks hear him coming thru the woods and wait for him sometimes at the fence and Tom has sat there for quite some time waiting for the ducks to move so he can walk across THEIR yard, sometimes he about turns back thru the woods and does the long detour down and round the house
    This helps you NOT 1 IOTA, I know, but just thought I would share my story.
    1 thing I did do was hold my cat on my knee and waiting for a duck to come close so the cat didnt see and the duck snapped at the swinging tail. Benjamin jumped and got a scare, so maybe that helped him to stay away from the ducks [​IMG]

3. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Lol!!!
    I enjoyed that!! Bless! Wonder if I can grab that little kitteh and get Larry to give her tail a good nom!

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would try it, get her all loved up and off her guard and let her get a good tail nipping. Wear a thick jacket tho, Ben ran up and over my shoulder when I did it

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    she might just want to get a better look at them. i have never had a problem. are your ducks wings clipped?

in summer i have a big water tank for the goats. all my animals will share it it is low to ground and 4 feet long and i refill it alot. when i say all all animals they will line up to get cold fresh water in the hot summer. i really need to get pic this summer. cats dog chickens ducks and goats all sizes and ages sharing water. its cute. i refill 2 or 3 times most days. i even have the neighbors cats and stray cats from to my house for fresh water because they cant get it any where else. i have even had the neighbors ducks and chickens come to my house for food and water. they keep coming back because they know where the good stuff is.

6. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    They are clipped. She doesn't seem to want to eat them. When she first came into the garden they were a little jumpy about it.
    Did you get any pictures of everyone lining up and drinking? Sounds cute!

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would keep an eye on your ducks until you know for sure that the cat won't get aggressive towards them. I wouldn't trust a cat around any bird except really large ones like muscovies and geese.

8. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Hmmmm think I need to speak to the husband about gettin a couple of guard geese lol!

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Please be aware that your guard geese may be harder on your calls than the cat. My bantam ducks could fly so would excape the goose that way. They got mad at the goose for hogging the pool. Their air attack on the goose convinced him about air power and when one would take flight he would hide under bushes until he thought it was safe to come out.

10. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awwww, that's ok, my garden isn't big enough for geese anyway [​IMG]
    Will have to wait until I win the lottery and then I will put the geese in a run that goes all round the outside of the garden on guard duty and put the calls in the middle. That way I can being with Geese snoogles and work my wat to the little call snoogles in the middle lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by