1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Nifty device I found, thought I would share it with you....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moenmitz, Dec 17, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Called a Thermocube. Cost about $15 at teh hardware store. Looks like an outlet "expander" one that makes a regular outlet hold extra plugs...except it has a thermostat built in to it. It cuts off power to anything plugged into it when the temp reaches 40 degrees- comes back on at 35. I am using it for my heat lamps- saves the constant plugging/ unplugging business

Probably you have all heard of soemthing liek this before, but it was new to me so I was really excited to find it. Just what I was needing!

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Songster

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, I have heard of them and even thought about getting one. But...40 degrees is like a heat wave here so it would never shut off! Let us know how it works for you. I think it is a GREAT idea!

3. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Songster

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Ohhh..now thats is an idea. I never knew they came with different settings. I might have to order one of those.

Edited cause I can't spell darn it! (need more coffeeeee)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  5. ddeans

ddeans Songster

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I just placed my order. This will save so much time, and electric for when I forget to unplug the water heater and everything. Thanks for the link.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

This is a great idea but I never heard of it, either. Thanks for the info! Genie

7. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

8. Of course everyone must go to Tractor Supply right? They have them there. I did not know of a such thing until I found this forum but I am on my way to get one. I had been using a timer but this will be better.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Great Idea.

10. moenmitz

moenmitz Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Cool- I didnt know they had ones with different settings! The store only had ONE left, and I could use another, so I will order one as well. Temperature here this morning was a balmy 8 below zero-WITHOUT the wind chill factor. Brrrr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: