Nifty device I found, thought I would share it with you....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moenmitz, Dec 17, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Called a Thermocube. Cost about $15 at teh hardware store. Looks like an outlet "expander" one that makes a regular outlet hold extra plugs...except it has a thermostat built in to it. It cuts off power to anything plugged into it when the temp reaches 40 degrees- comes back on at 35. I am using it for my heat lamps- saves the constant plugging/ unplugging business

Probably you have all heard of soemthing liek this before, but it was new to me so I was really excited to find it. Just what I was needing!

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, I have heard of them and even thought about getting one. But...40 degrees is like a heat wave here so it would never shut off! Let us know how it works for you. I think it is a GREAT idea!

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Ohhh..now thats is an idea. I never knew they came with different settings. I might have to order one of those.

Edited cause I can't spell darn it! (need more coffeeeee)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  5. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I just placed my order. This will save so much time, and electric for when I forget to unplug the water heater and everything. Thanks for the link.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

This is a great idea but I never heard of it, either. Thanks for the info! Genie

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

8. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course everyone must go to Tractor Supply right? They have them there. I did not know of a such thing until I found this forum but I am on my way to get one. I had been using a timer but this will be better.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Great Idea.

10. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Cool- I didnt know they had ones with different settings! The store only had ONE left, and I could use another, so I will order one as well. Temperature here this morning was a balmy 8 below zero-WITHOUT the wind chill factor. Brrrr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by