Nigerian banker thinks his son is the would-be bomber of Detroit plane

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by backdoorchicken, Dec 26, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    To be sure though he will need you to cash this check for £10,000,000 and return to him only £9,000,000. Keep the rest for your troubles.

[​IMG]

2. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Pfft! I was so mad one time that this guy had a house up for rent that wasn't his that I called South Africa and cussed this guy out.

It cost me $30....LOL. But I felt better.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Quite honestly, I could have been one of the people on that plane. I decided not to fly back to Michigan to visit with family for a few days after Christmas. My original goal was to fly on Christmas day. Glad I didn't now. [​IMG]

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    With the large Arab population in Detroit/Dearborn area, one would think that he wouldn't choose that as a target. Yeesh. Michigan and Detroit don't need any more bad PR (lost the Stanley Cup last winter, highest unemployment, lost population, Big 3 problems, UAW problems, U of M's bad football seasons last two years, Standish prison not getting Gitmo detainees, the ongoing issues of Detroit Lions, etc...)

5. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    agreed, detroit has enough problems

6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

My DH is usually on that flight. He flew home from Italy the day before, but they didn't change flights in Amsterdam. They went straight to Atlanta. He flies for work quite a bit, and there are ALWAYS plain clothed marshals on those flights. I'm sure there was one or two on that one as well. It's scary to think about sometimes, but neither one of us want to live our lives being worried who your flying with. It's not worth the stress.

That airport technically isn't in Detroit either. It's a bit of a drive down the highway to get to Detroit. It's also pretty safe there. ( I'm there a lot, and also in Flint airport.) I'd rather be at that airport than in Detroit anyday. [​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I flew yesterday (day after the incident). It didn't seem like security was much tighter than the week before.

I also flew internationally a few months after 9/11. Security was a lot more serious back then than it is now. It seems like they've backed off quite a bit since then. Back then, they dumped *everyone's* carry-on out on a table and sorted through all your stuff. Now they're back to the X-ray machines with only random searches being performed. One of my checked bags was examined by TSA as part of a random search, but basically it took no time for me to get through security.

Tighter security means longer lines, though, and around the holidays there are lots of people flying who don't travel regularly and have no idea what they're doing at the airport -- don't wear the right clothes, put stuff they shouldn't have in their carry-ons, wait until the last second to remove a million metal objects from their pockets, etc. etc. etc. Plus, there are tons of little kids who need direction from their parents to take off their coats and shoes, stand and wait, no don't touch that... This makes the lines move even more slowly... I'm not sure what the solution would be; people complain about security, but they also hate waiting in line. [​IMG]

As far as identifying passengers that might be a potential problem, they don't scan your passport at security into some computer database and get a profile or a "flag" on you. They just look at it and make sure it matches your face and your boarding pass. I think actually having to scan the passport and have it check it against a list would be better.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The Sunday morning political shows are saying the bomber had the explosives sewn in his underwear. Now I have visions of having to put our underwear through the xray machine like shoes.

Imp- Air travel will have a whole new component. [​IMG]

9. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm still laughing out loud! How does that saying go? "Twisted minds think alike?" [​IMG]

10. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by