1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nigerian Dwarf Addiction - Help!! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So I have Danny and Daisy, my two grade goats.
    Then I got Yogi over the weekend. And like potato chips, you can not have just one...... Now I have the chance to buy the girl below. She is 3.5 y/o registered. She has never been pregnent. The gentleman wants $300 for her. If I want, he has a registered Buck coming next week and he will keep the doe for a couple of months to expose her to the buck. He is not going to charge me any more for breeding her. So should I get her? Should I let him breed her? You Nigerian people, does she look like a good quality. With a good buck, would you consider purchasing one of her babies?

Edited: Removed picture because I decided not to get Roxie.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think she is beautiful ! I would want a baby.

Henry

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I second that!

4. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    OK Henry - You will be at the top of the list. Also, the two blue ameracaunas I got from HatTrickSilkies are a boy and girl, so I will have eggs to hatch and babies in the spring. You can pick up all kinds of stuff here.

You know, you can not have just one goat, they need a friend.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL Another one bites the dust!

She is very flashy! I love broken buckskins...

Can you find out her 4 generations? And the lines on the buck, too?

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    YA I will have to get some blue ameraucana form you if you want more in the spring both peachick and Will Marrow at whitemore farm have BBS ameraucana. I may be able to get two does or a weather and a does I might have to think about other breeds though not sure I love Toggenburgs and Alpines and the little teats are offally hard to milk!

7. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Kate - I emailed the gentleman to ask for as many generations of information he had for Roxie and the buck. I also asked him to confirm how she is registered as well as the buck.

So you think I should get her and let her be exposed to the buck.

Then I will have a lot of reading to do, to get up to speed on baby goats, etc.

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Looks like a nice doe , why hasnt she been bred?? That is the main question I would be asking...that alone makes me kinda leery. I would also have her tested for CAE and CL for that price. I guess I am just over cautous on some things. Yes they do have small teats but some dont. Make sure she has good milking lines and the buck also as he will determine her udder when she freshens. I dont mean to be a spoil sport but I got my Broken buckskin and she was registered also for $100. Just make sure since she hasnt been bred that she is capable .

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i would let her get exposed to the buck if he will not charge extra. especially if she is registered and then you can sell the kid if you want to.

10. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    ChatyChick - I did ask that question. The gentleman said that they have been trying to control how many babies they have a year. There is no reason that she should not be able to get pregnant. And I know that $300 sound like a lot. But here in Maryland $300 is cheap. Other breeders I have found start at $400 and up. Adn if they are breed, it is an extra $50 to $100.

I keep threatening to drive to someplace where they are not $300 or $400.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by