Nigerian Dwarf Goat Kidding Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by byrandom, Jan 17, 2009.

1. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I have several NDGs. This is my first time with any of them kidding. Two of my does have head heavy discharge and several of the other "signs" that I have read online. However, it has been more than 24 hours since the discharge .. and no Kids! Everywhere I read online states that they will kid within 8 hours of the discharge. They are both still very dialated, bunked down in the barn, and heavy breathing.

They are eating, walking, no distress -- however they are not progressing into full blown labor..

Thanks guys!

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Discharge can differ. Any sign of pushing yet? Hope you have small hands in case you need to turn. They are tight in there if you need to find a leg or head do it at the very start of exiting. We found a head and front foot means we are pulling them out(by the nape and leg). Eat before; you may be there awhile. OB gel, scissors,floss, and iodine, towels. If the head and both feet are sticking out remove the membrane away from the face to allow drainage from nose.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    good luck, i'll be in your shoes in march, i have 8 does pregnant, preparation is essential, you lose a lot less kids by being prepared, anyway hope you have an uneventful kidding:)

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i know last year i thought they were going to have babies several different times because of "the signs", i was wrong each time, then they popped them out when i wasn't looking:/

5. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Watch for the udder to fill and it will fill! The skin will get tight to the point of shiny. We had discharge a month before freshening... I looked at my doe one day at feeding time for the normal signs and she was eating fine and showed no sign of giving birth then five minutes later she had hooves sticking out. The only thing that I noticed for sure was the size of her udder. It changed over night!

Good Luck and happy freshening!

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Guess wether you should be worried or not depends on the discharge. Is it amber and stringy? If it is...and you don't have kids...then yes you likely have a problem. I'm guessing though that it's a slight discharge...and that you're close and just not there yet.

I've had does act as you've described for a couple WEEKS. They'll keep you on your toes guessing.

I'll say it again...you don't know until they're pushing!!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My doe's udder did not fill up before she freshened, so they don't always.

I wanted to suggest a great goat site with really helpful people:

http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php

Good luck with these babies, hope everything goes well.

8. Jazlyn

Jazlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    South Mississippi
    Any kids yet? [​IMG]

I imagine it is just regular plugging(for lubrication). Plugging ussually happens up to two weeks before kidding on most of my Nigies(sometimes longer). IMO the more the better! It makes for an easier kidding.

When is their due date? I have been presant for all but one of my girls kiddings and had a doe go past her due date for the first time ever last year. She went to day 157.(the day before my B-day)[​IMG] I know it is nerve racking to wait![​IMG] Have the does kidded before? Some smart does with experience that thrive on attention alone will fake labor pains and other "signs" for special attention. Those rascals!

Have you dicided to dam or bottle raise the kids?

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    You guys have me worried. I have a doe that was due either 1/11 or 1/29, and so far she's shown no signs at all. Her udder is no bigger than it was a month ago, no mucous. Nothing but a big belly.

10. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    There are a lot of things that you can look for, and not a one of them is fool proof. Be Patient and watch for signs of distress. If you think there might be a problem and you can afford it have a vet do an ultra-sound. Watch for labored breathing and check her eyelids and gums for good color. If she appears healthy she probably is. My wife and I fretted for over a month with out first one and now we only worry for 3 weeks.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by