Nigerian Dwarf Goat Pregnancy UPDATE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by blueoval1, Nov 4, 2009.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Hi my dad has a small nigerian dwarf doe about 2 years old, he found another goat for her to play with but he got a bore billy and I am afraid that he might have bred her will she have problems with the baby? do you think it will be to big?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Oh boy!! This is not good. How far along is she? If it were me I would get some lutalyse and abort her.

3. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    And I would castrate the buck.

4. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I think she is too far along but I will check into that I was worried this would be a problem. When do goats start producing milk.

And he has recently sold the boer thankfully.
    Thanks so much for posting,

5. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Does anyone else have any advice [​IMG]

6. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    There really isn't a lot you can do. There is a chance she can have the kid OK, but there is no way to predict. Worst case scenario is you have to be prepared to have a ceaserean done or shoot the goat if the kid is too large to fit through the birth canal. Or you can induce labor now with lutalyse and dexamethasone. Sorry. But those are your options.

The udder can start to fill anywhere from a few weeks to a few hours before kidding.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree with with the Lutalyse. If you do it now she will have the baby in about 36 hrs or so. Yes you risk losing the baby but you can save the mother. This to me is your best option. Finding someone to do a C-section on goats is very hard. Not to metion it can be pretty pricey. I would much rather sake the babies life then the moms. Put this is just my 2 cents. Good luck.

8. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I agree with all of the above. It's so risky to let the doe give birth with what will probably be a too big of kid to come out.

9. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Hi I talked to my vet and he said that she would be ok, He explained that her uterus would control how big the baby would be and he hoped that she would have 2 so that both would be smaller.

What are your thoughts about this?

I am so confused.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have heard that several times. "The baby will not outgrow what the mother can carry." But, carrying isn't the issue is it...birthing is.

It's like saying if you breed a Great Dane to a female Chihuahua. It may not kill her to carry the pups, but birthing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by