Nigerian Dwarf Goat Pregnancy UPDATE!!!!!

blueoval1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh N.C.
Hi my dad has a small nigerian dwarf doe about 2 years old, he found another goat for her to play with but he got a bore billy and I am afraid that he might have bred her will she have problems with the baby? do you think it will be to big?

Last edited:
Oh boy!! This is not good. How far along is she? If it were me I would get some lutalyse and abort her.

I think she is too far along but I will check into that I was worried this would be a problem. When do goats start producing milk.

And he has recently sold the boer thankfully.
Thanks so much for posting,

Does anyone else have any advice
fl.gif

There really isn't a lot you can do. There is a chance she can have the kid OK, but there is no way to predict. Worst case scenario is you have to be prepared to have a ceaserean done or shoot the goat if the kid is too large to fit through the birth canal. Or you can induce labor now with lutalyse and dexamethasone. Sorry. But those are your options.

The udder can start to fill anywhere from a few weeks to a few hours before kidding.

Quote:
I agree with with the Lutalyse. If you do it now she will have the baby in about 36 hrs or so. Yes you risk losing the baby but you can save the mother. This to me is your best option. Finding someone to do a C-section on goats is very hard. Not to metion it can be pretty pricey. I would much rather sake the babies life then the moms. Put this is just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I agree with all of the above. It's so risky to let the doe give birth with what will probably be a too big of kid to come out.

Hi I talked to my vet and he said that she would be ok, He explained that her uterus would control how big the baby would be and he hoped that she would have 2 so that both would be smaller.

What are your thoughts about this?

I am so confused.

I have heard that several times. "The baby will not outgrow what the mother can carry." But, carrying isn't the issue is it...birthing is.

It's like saying if you breed a Great Dane to a female Chihuahua. It may not kill her to carry the pups, but birthing...

Back
Top Bottom