Nigerian Dwarf Goat Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hpyfmly, Aug 2, 2014.

1. hpyfmly

hpyfmly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    Northern Florida
    We bought two, three month old bucklings three weeks ago and they are doing very well. They are a bit shy and we are trying to be patient with them as they get used to their new surroundings. They are just starting to let us touch them, but on their own terms.

I noticed that one of them has normal poop, which is pellet like, but the other one's poop started getting more clumpy like berries and tonight I can see that it's looking more like a log. I wasn't with my husband when he bought the food, but I know that we are feeding them pellets, NOT sweet feed as we were advised against it. We also give them coastal hay to munch on and they are not getting alfalfa in their food at all. They have access to a mineral block, but they don't seem to fond of it yet.

The goats have a nice, large fenced in area to play in (we are planning on letting them out, but wanted them to know where "home" was first) and during the day , our chickens share the same area. I have found the goats in the chicken coop (we leave the door open so the chickens can come and go) and even eating their food at times. I always get them out when I find them in there. By the way, we feed the chicken Dumor Chicken Starter. Could this be the culprit for the poop? Or do I need to add more to their diet?

I have heard conflicting arguments about corn and whether or not goats should have it. Everything I have read advises against it. Just trying to figure this all out :)

2. Yeah. I wouldn't let the goats eat the chick feed as it can cause bloat. Roughage like hay and shrubs ect.

Wish ya the best.

3. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    My two wethers, Todd and Elliot, were bottled raised, and now at 5 1/2 months old, they are so sweet but ALWAYS getting into trouble. They have gotten into the chicken coop a number of times and eaten the chickens' feed which they absolutely love. It has never caused them any stomach problems, but it is a basic organic layer pellet feed, so if you are feeding chick starter that is medicated, that could be upsetting baby goat's stomach. When my boys were younger, they were definitely more sensitive and would get diarrhea if they ate something they weren't supposed to. They once consumed a sheet of paper in less than 10 seconds-it was gone before I could even reach them!-and E got a little sick but they both ended up being fine. How long as this been going on with your boy? Elliot was definitely MUCH more sensitive than Todd as a baby-he was the one that usually got sick to his stomach. I am by no means an expert on goats, but I have had these two since they were just a couple weeks old and I just wanted to reassure you that they will probably get much tougher in a couple months if you can get them through their baby months. Mine have really just started to slow down growing significantly in the last month. This is Todd and Elliot. I would love to see pictures of your boys!
    [​IMG]Todd

[​IMG]Elliot

4. hpyfmly

Apr 4, 2014
    Northern Florida
    They are so cute! I'm going to find a way to keep them out of the coop ;). Thank you both for the helpful advice!! Here are some pics!![​IMG][/IMG]

5. hpyfmly

Apr 4, 2014
    Northern Florida
    A couple more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Whoever says goats should not have corn doesn't know what they are talking about. That said, not all goats need grain, corn or otherwise. Young stock should have some grain, does in the latter stages of pregnancy, and milkers need it. Goats kept for pets usually do not. My experience has been with dairy goats. Guess what goats (and cows) on commercial dairies are fed? A grain ration containing corn. Of course they get hay and other roughage too. Pygmies will get way too fat if given much in the way of grain.

7. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aww! I love the coloring on your boys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by