Nigerian dwarf goats

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
Thinking of getting a couple Nigerian dwarf goats. I think we would like two wethers, as I don’t want to breed or use the dairy of does.
Is that sensible or do they need more pals? Do wethers normally get along with each other?

Our yard is walled, the lowest point being 5 feet. Any reason they couldn’t freely graze during the day and return to a pen/ shelter in the evening?

Are they weather-hardy? We have a pretty temperate climate but occasionally get big winter snowstorms, or have monsoon rains and temps in the 90s in the summer.

How do goats usually do around chickens?

Thanks for any advice guy might have!

2 goats is plenty and wethers can get along fine. There is still a pecking order.

Our yard is walled, the lowest point being 5 feet. Any reason they couldn’t freely graze during the day and return to a pen/ shelter in the evening?
They will likely eat everything you don't want them too... any trees you wish to save may need protecting... depends on how much browse you have available since they eat brush not grass.

The BIGGEST reason I could not let my goatie boys range freely is they LOVE grain but it can be deadly for them if they get bloat. So they would immediately go to my chicken feeders. Other than the grain issue, mine were fine with chickens. And oh so cute and sweet! :love

As long as they have shelter the weather should be OK. Minerals for all and baking soda free choice to prevent urinary calculi build up in wethers. Mine NEVER got grain... only grass hay (sometimes alfalfa) and forage.

Have you already checked out this site for great goat information...
http://fiascofarm.com/

Okay, one more in case you haven't seen it... Make NO mistake my goats yelled at the top of their lungs during their adjustment phase to their new home.. about a month... Must watch!

Good luck! :fl

Goats do not tolerate getting wet. They need a dry place to sleep out of the wind and rain. Wethers do not need grain but they should have access to good hay. You need some sort of a hay feeder so they are not eating off the ground. Access to plenty of clean fresh water will go a long way in preventing bladder stones. They do need a salt block.

They actually need loose minerals as most salt blocks do not contain the high levels of copper and selenium Nigerian Dwarfs require. I have a whether and a doe and love them to pieces! They are around 5 months old (the doe is a week older but the whether was bigger than her by 9 weeks old or so). They can honestly escape everything when babies because they are so small and curious (insert "mischievous"). Yes they love chicken feed - mine jump on the coop (or feed bag) if I take my eyes off them for a half a second. But they don't bother the chickens. Best of luck and please post pics if/when you get them!!

Here are my kids - Shen and Lily. Lily is the one with more white :love
20180913_180353.jpg

They actually need loose minerals as most salt blocks do not contain the high levels of copper and selenium Nigerian Dwarfs require. I have a whether and a doe and love them to pieces! They are around 5 months old (the doe is a week older but the whether was bigger than her by 9 weeks old or so). They can honestly escape everything when babies because they are so small and curious (insert "mischievous"). Yes they love chicken feed - mine jump on the coop (or feed bag) if I take my eyes off them for a half a second. But they don't bother the chickens. Best of luck and please post pics if/when you get them!!

Here are my kids - Shen and Lily. Lily is the one with more white :love
View attachment 1545384
Omg, they are so adorable!

Back
Top Bottom