Nigerian dwarf kids die shortly after birth .

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thfrank, Dec 22, 2014.

1. thfrank

thfrank Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    U was looking at buying a doe to add to my herd t, I spoke with a lady and she said she would sale me a doe for 150 and that she was double registered . I asked the lady why she was gonna sale her and this is what she said "For her first kidding, she had to have a c-section; neither of the kids survived.
    For her second kidding, both kids came out fine, but both died shortly afterwards".

2. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    So with that being said is the female diseased or is their anything I could do to help the female if I bought her .

3. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Can anyone help me or tell me what they think is goin on with that goat

4. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    I cant tell you what is going on with her but I would not buy her. Especially if you have plans for milking her as you would have to breed her. If you just wanted her as a pet with absolutely no intention to ever breed her and no way she could be accidently bred I might consider her.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    There will be other double registered goats, don't buy this one unless you have a great deal of disposable income. Double registered also doesn't mean she is a good goat, either. It isn't like the registries check goats, they just register if the parents are registered. There could be a myriad of problems with her, and none of us actually know without seeing the goat. With her original Cesarian section, that means her future kids might need caesarians in order to be born. She could have a disease, though most cause the kids to be aborted before they are able to survive outside the womb.

Kids are delicate, and you provided too little information. Kids die easily. Were they dried off quickly after birth so they did not get chilled? Did they aspirate birthing fluids? Did they get colostrum shortly after birth? A mineral deficiency in the dam leads to deficiencies in the kids, which can be fatal. And those are just a few things that could be the reason for the deaths.

Skip her, get a goat that doesn't have problems already.

6. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank you for responding , I figured it was a deal to good to pass up but I didn't buy her that's I wanted everyone else's input , but I dnt know if the kids were dried off after birth or anything the lady wouldn't give me to much info on her besides she has had two sets of kids pass away after birth . But I will skip her and see if I can find another female .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by