Nigerian dwarf male goat.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thfrank, Dec 25, 2013.

1. thfrank

thfrank Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    Will a male goat still try and mount a female goat even if she has been breed .

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

...yes.

3. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Another quick question you may be able to help me with , how long does it take for the female to start showing or is their certain signs I need to look for .

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

It's different for each goat, but generally after 3.5-4 months they will start to look rounder. In the beginning, it's hard to tell. As they get closer, their udder bag starts to swell a little, her vaginal area will get red and swollen... but again, these are not rules, they don't happen to every goat.

I would separate her from the buck if you think she's pregnant.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    A quick way to determine if she was successfully bred or not is by sending a blood sample off to biotracking. You can either have a vet draw off the sample, or do it yourself if you know how.

I agree that it can be rather hard to tell in the beginning. And yes, bucks will hump anything they can. Any does that let them (bred or not), wethers, other bucks, other critters, etc.

Yes, please do separate her if you believe she is bred. It isn't good for her to be continually harassed by a buck. You can always watch her for signs of heat, and give them a date if she displays them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  6. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Thanks for the info , I will separate them today .

7. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Is the female a Nigerian dwarf as well?

8. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Yes she is a Nigerian dwarf as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by