Nigerian Dwarf Population Explosion!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamabird, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    We had a Nigerian Dwarf population explosion two weeks ago! We had three does give birth within 48 hours. We had triplets (2 does/1 buck), quads (2 does/2 bucks - lost one little buckling [​IMG] ), and triplets (2 bucks/1 doe). I have a few pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We do have some of the doelings available still...if you would like more information, please go to our website at www.jchmountainfarm.com and look at the babies. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They are too cute!

3. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Aww! They are just adorable.
    My fiance' has said "No goats!" but if I came home with cuties like that he couldn't say no!
    What do you use for fencing? I've been wondering if the smaller goats are more difficult to contain than larger breeds.

4. mamabird

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    We use graduated woven wire fencing...holes bigger at the top and smaller at the bottom. Amazingly enough, our ND's aren't too hard to keep in. The babies can fit through the holes for a few weeks, but they don't really do that because they tend to stay with mom and the herd. My DH said no to goats (for a while) then let my daughter (and I) get four ND's a few years ago. Now we have about 20. They really aren't that much trouble, and they have such great personalities that they have even won him over. [​IMG] I think they are easier to keep in just because of their size. They aren't heavy enough to ride the fence down and they aren't tall enough to make a big jump over stuff - don't get me wrong, they can jump...but not as high as a standard. Remember if you want goats, you must have at least 2...they are herd animals and don't do well alone.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Look at all those babys, soooo cute. [​IMG]

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats Cuteness overload. They all are precious but the black and whites are breath taking. [​IMG]

7. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Thanks mamabird! All of our pastures are fenced with 7-wire high tensile, but we are hoping to use some fixed-knot fencing in the future. Hopefully by then I will have a good argument for why goats are a necessity on this farm. [​IMG]
    Beautiful website, btw.

8. mamabird

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by