Nigerian Dwarf Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Coupe, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Can someine tell me if she is? She just developed small udder and looks a bit bigger, and She is more puffy back there..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas?
    This will be her first time kidding.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Honestly, I would say that yes, she is bred. Any idea when it happened, so you can better prepare? Or does she live with the buck all the time (it looks like a buck is next to her in one of the pictures)? If she lives with the buck, please do separate him so he doesn't reimpregnate her soon after she kids. That would not be healthy for her at all, a back to back pregnancy.

My buck lives happily with a wether buddy. Sure he can tell when my girls are in heat and dances at the fence, wanting to go visit. But it keeps me in control of who gets bred and when.

3. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Yes she does live with the buck, and she will be seperated. Just wanted to make sure she was pregnant before i did so..
    In all honesty i dont know when she was bred..i would guess late fall/early winter.
    I had my buck in with a wether, but i had to sell the wether because he was picking on the buck. the wether was super friendly to humans..but hated every other animal! So he had to go!
    I made the mistake of raising my buck and doe together so when i do seperate them, they both throw fits..but i am putting the extra panel in the next couple of days, so the doe can have her own comfy pen with out him..but hopefully sense she can still see him, she wont scream all day.
    Im so excited now! I was pretty sure she was pregnant (sense iv had boer goats in the past) but just need another opinion!
    Thanks so much!!

4. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Also i noticed she dosnt like to run around anymore..or jump off her little house...does this mean she could be close?
    Because when i let them back into the pen for the night she normaly hops skips and jumps all the way there! And for the past couple of days, she has just been slowly trotting there.

5. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My Nigerian doe who gave birth last week acted that way about a month before she was due. She just felt too pregnant to do a lot of bouncing around. She only had two in there, but was a massive wide load, hah. You may notice your girl laying down more often, too.

6. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I was thinking 4-5 more weeks!
    Yesturday when i brought her out some water, i noticed it looked like somthing was kicking inside her...it was right below her spine sort of..i thought i was seeig things until i saw her skin stretch out again. But when i try to feel for movement i cant feel anything :(
    Is there a special way to be doing this? Im worried ill hurt her if i push to hard to feel..she is such a good girl!! She will stand still and let me feel around! Being a first freshener i thought she would give me a fit!

7. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    When I feel for babies, I feel on their right side and on their belly right before their udder. You can push in gently. She'll let you know if it is uncomfortable. The left side, where there rumen is, isn't a good place to feel for babies. Sometimes it takes a bit of time. It will likely feel like a little flutter against your fingers. When I feel it, I usually tap back a little, which tends to make the kid kick a little more in response. I usually stand there with my hands wrapped around the doe for a few minutes (mine are very calm and content around me, too). You can't always feel the kids, or they may not be moving at that time, but it sure is magical when you can feel them!

8. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I put my hand right infront of the udder and i can feel it!!!! I dont really even need to push, just placing my hand there and i can feel it moving around!! vigirous little fella!!! when i do place my hand infront of the udder, my doe squats alittle..is that normal?

9. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Please Help!!!! She just had her kid about 30 mins ago...it is cold outside...down in the 20's..the kid has not nursed yet either!! Should i bring them inside???

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They need to be in a dry place out of the wind
    Can you make a small 4 X 4 pen for them?

Once the kids are dry, they should be fine IF you keep them enclosed

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by