1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nigerian Dwarfs like well trained dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dixygirl, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Very loving and affectionate little pets, but they are a bit mischievous at times and need a strong hand.

Please tell me about your experiences raising goats
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    seek guidance?? I must have the wrong breed... mine only seeks treats from me..

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    6 months old and still on a bottle? It should be weaned by now.

4. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    No the bottle baby is a month old, not the 6 month old LOL.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My largest does are 155lbs. Not even the same class of goat when you start dealing with them. I have 9 total including 1 nigi and 2 angoras.

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    I think the larger 155 pound breeds woud be a lot more challenging !
    The nigi dwarf adult is much smaller than that. I can pick her up and carry her if I need to. I don't think I will ever get a large breed of goat like that. I like the small dwarf types LOL

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you live? I want a couple goats and these sounds like what I want. Anything that plays and wants to follow me around is after my own heart!! [​IMG]

8. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    I don't have any for sale. But I am sure you can find some near you.
    Note, it is important who you buy them from. I got mine from a family with small children under 5 yrs old. These particular goats were treated like children just like I am hand raising my baby in the house. When I went to see them a little 4 year old girl was feeding my little goats in fact. If they are raised by their mother and not socialized in a human family I am sure they will be a lot less tame.

So I am very glad I got hand bottle raised goats. They are very imprinted on humans. The good thing is they did raise a lot of goats so they are still used to goats too.

PS Just went out to feed. The Pekin ducks made a break for it. But the Nigis stayed with me. I had to fight just now with my ducks to get them back in because they wanted out today.
    Ugh!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I had one of those huge 155 lb goats, he was the sweetest most lovable guy.
    He came in with a ram (ram couldnt walk , was 250 lbs, had been held up by a poop pile to his belly but a different story), both severely neglected.
    Moose had lice so bad he was near naked. but when he was all cleaned up he was a big moosh, not bad concidering.

My first meeting with Mosse was a show that had everyone laughing their butts off.
    My Husband and BIL brought the 2 in penned them up, hubby came to get me to inspect and evaluate, I walked around the side of the pen and came face to face( litterally) with this goat, I about near fainted ! at that point in my life I had no clue goats came that big.
    I looked at my BIL and said " I thought you were bringing me a goat not a derned Moose ! both hubby and BIL were about falling all over themselves laughing..[​IMG]

Still to this day I dont know what type of moose goat it was but he was so gentle.

Cassi had a dwarf that was raised in the house who was very puppyish, followed her everywhere, too bad nosy people had to make it so we had to rehome her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by