1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Night #5 and still have to put girls in the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nharbison0722, Jul 3, 2016.

1. nharbison0722

nharbison0722 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Hi everyone! Well, after night #5, I'm still having to manually put my girls in the coop myself. As it gets dark, they all gather into the furthest corner of the run (closest to light source) and I have to pick them up and put them inside their coop! Even as I'm putting them in there, they are trying to come back out! Any suggestions? Will they ever start on their own?

Thanks for your help!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    How old are they? I'm thinking they should soon, very soon, start going in on their own. Most of the time once we put the babies in the grow out pen it does take a couple of nights.
    This last group (now two months old) went out at three weeks and the first two nights we had to put the all in. The third night a few made it up on their own. The fourth half did and by the fifth night they were all going in.
    I wonder if you think they should go in before they're ready? we always say the babies like to party.
    Although they go into their coop on their own, it is always fifteen minutes past when the adult chickens and bantams go into their coop.
    The adults are usually in by 8:30 or a few minutes later while the young ones meander up their ramp at 8:45.

3. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

They are going on 6 weeks old. I'm putting them up around 845pm, and after they start gathering in a huddle in the corner.

4. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your chickens? Lock up the chickens for a few days and they should get the idea. My younger ones were easier because they just follow the older ones in at night. I did eventually separate them because a couple of little ones got trampled by my juveniles. By time your chickens are a couple of months old they should have the idea. I encourage mine by throwing a handful of food in the coup and calling them.

5. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

The other post was added while I was writing mine so I guess great minds think alike, lol! What nharbison0722 said x2.

6. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Are the big chickens in the coop too? Are they fighting over the roost? They may be scaring the little ones. My now 7 week olds go in only when it is getting pretty dark but I could see that last week they were reluctant because of the vicious fighting on the big girls roost. Even tho the littles have a separated space, they see the others. The other hens didn't want to go in either. Who would? I finally made a little temporary corner cell for the top bully and bedtime is improving for everyone big and small. I'd get rid of that bully, a RIR, but she's our best layer. Well now I'm raising her replacements.....

7. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

All the chickens in the coop are the same age. I won't have any younger chicks to put out there for another 4 weeks. The ones outside are my first batch and all are about 6 weeks.
    It would be hard for me to lock them in their coop for a few days, as temps here are 108!
    Its so very hot right now!

8. ECMurray

ECMurray Out Of The Brooder

One thing you could do is to sprinkle lavender into the coop on a regular basis. It calms the chickens some what, and makes them feel safe and secure. It's said to work to calm humans, (right?) so why not chickens? Also, you could consider how large your coop is compared to the amount of chickens you have. Perhaps it's simply because they don't exactly relish the thought of being crowded in at night. Especially with the heat where you live. Being crowded together creates body heat. Good luck finding a solution! [​IMG]

9. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to try the lavender! What a great idea! I know it helps to calm me down! I have several lavender plants growing in my garden right now!
    Thanks again!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by