1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Night Creatures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamachicken888, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    I'm kind of embarrassed that I don't know this... but are creatures of the night like coyotes, owls, raccoons, and opossums... are they deterred at all by light? Do they prefer the cover of complete darkness to do their dirty deeds?

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    They might be cautious... for awhile...but if you were to leave the light on all the time, they will become accustomed to it and it wouldn't be a deterrent at all. Don't know exactly what you're asking for, but hope this helps.

3. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Yes most all of the animals you mentioned are night animals, but not strictly, they will come out in the day. There are many more critters that come out at night as well. No light doesn't deter them if it is on all the time, they will learn that they have nothing to fear from a light that is constantly on or comes on at certain times and keep coming back.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Simple answer is no. I nightly have possums and raccoons in the yard, occasionally during the day too. I have a coop light, garden shed lights, 2 porch lights. Streetlight in front yard. They come right up to my door.

This is me up close and personal with the young raccoons a couple months ago, in the light.

[​IMG]

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I do have a solution for these critters that has been working for me so far - fingers crossed...I found these battery powered motion sensor LED spotlights on amazon. and I set them up around my coop. They are very sensitive, and have a wide angle of motion detection. I have one pointed right at the entrance to my coop...I put them out after I caught a coon in my coop one night (My coop is right by my kitchen window. I heard the commotion, and went out the window with a flashlight, in my jammies).

There have been a couple of occasions where someone has left the coop open, and so far, so good. The lights only turn on when they detect motion, and it is dark out. They are awesome!

A coon comes by, trips the light, it turns on, startles them, and they run off. I do not think this would be particularly sucessful with a timer light or one that stays on all night though. Coons (and other nocturnal critters) are pretty smart, and hunger out-weights fear, so the deterant looses it's effectiveness fairly quickly if it is constant like that.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    They get used to it really easily!!! i have one that lives in the woods by my house and he doesn't care that the lighs are on and two dogs are snarling at him through the glass! LOL

7. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Wow. I like the idea of the motion lights. If I just knew they would work. Maybe if I coupled that with a fog horn?? [​IMG]

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I LOVE that idea!

9. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:I agree these work, or mine has so far. We have a solar motion sensor Led on one of our coops and I love it. We played back the security video the other day, and the light kept going on and off for a thirty minute span, but no animale got near the front of the coop. Found out habor frieght has them for 20$, and I plan on putting in several more. Even if the critters get used to it, it will still be nice to have lights around my coops and runs.

10. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    they will for a bit but then they'll get used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by