Night laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roosurdaddy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Roosurdaddy

Roosurdaddy Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    So Cal
    Does anyone know? Will a hen wakeup during roosting at night, to go to the nesting box and lay an egg?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not that I know of....Once it gets dark they stay on the roost till the sun comes up....

Cheers!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They don't typically lay at night. However, new layers sometimes will lay an egg while roosting. It's can take a while for their bodies to get into a regular laying cycle. And they can't really control when an egg comes at first. Also, they don't always know that they need to lay. The urge to lay is something they need to learn, as are the reflexes needed to control when that egg comes out.

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

2X Junebuggena,

I've witnessed this last night, came home from work @830 and was dark. I've checked the chickens if they're all in the coop and heard a thug sound on the poop board, lo and behold one of my 6 months old EE just layed an egg and broke it, she was the one that layed quail size egg the day prior.

5. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    I have a hen that for weeks would lay an egg about every other day from the roost. I have contractor's sand in my coop, so the eggs did not break. Glad to say that for the last few days, she is now laying in the nesting box every day! But it is so funny when they first start laying and are not sure what to do LOL. They run around squawking like they are going to have diarrhea and can't find a bathroom :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Laying from the roost is totally different than getting up in the dark and using a nest box.....Yes....Everyone's hens will lay an egg from the roost at night sometime in their lives.....It is almost a given..........Either a soft shelled or a full egg....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by