Night Light (question made clearer)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    My chicks (11 weeks) will not go into their coop at night unless there is some sort of light source in there. Right now I am running the red heat lamp for them. When spring comes I will run a low wattage regular red light for them.

I have read several discussions on here about extending their time in light so that winter egg laying does not drop off. Its also been discussed here that you only want to give them 14 hours of light or you can mess up there laying cycle.

My question is this, ┬┐does the red light at night count against that?

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Iwish I could answer the question for you. However, I know our young ones won't go in willingly at night, we have to put them in.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    In the summer my girls go in on there own at dusk. Now I only have them out an hour or 2 as it is so cold. The red light is much easier on there eyes and they will sleep with it on. Mine sleep with red heat lamp and I have a 40 watt white light for 15 hours a day.
    IM getting 5-8 eggs a day from 11 girls.

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Try a 40 watt incondescent light (regular bulb) or one of those fancy "green" bulbs. Cost a lot less to run. Sometimes people use a red bulb to keep it from getting too bright. With chicks, too much light leads to pecking.

5. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Ok, I probably didnt ask the question right. I do run a red light at night. The chickens go in just fine every night as long as I dont forget to turn it on. I've forgotten twice.

My question is, does the red light at night mess up their egg laying schedule? I've read on here that to much light is a bad thing too.

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    No . From what I have been told "they don't really see red light that well" My girls continue to lay very well with red heat lamp on at night. I have mine on a timer so it comes on at 430 pm and off at 430am. My white light comes on at 430 am and off 830 am to give them a longer day of light for laying.

7. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Ok, Thank You. That was what I was looking for. Sometimes I just dont ask the question correctly. I do appreciate the above answers and I will try to be clearer in the future.

Mike D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by