Night Light

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsDolittleDuck, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    do ducks need a light on at night? have a pekin duck wonder into my yard 6 days ago. we have her sleeping on our front porch all safe for her from preditors. she has everything she needs, but I have been leaving the porch light on for her. Should i leave it on or shut it off at night?
    appreciate all the info you may have.

2. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    It really doesn't matter either way. She doesn't need the light on but if you feel more comfortable leaving it on than there's no harm in doing so.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Personally, I'd shut it off. When ours get put into their shed at night and the light goes off, everyone gets very quiet and settles in. I am sure leaving it on is not a big deal, but since you asked, I figured I'd throw my two cents in.
    Very sweet of you to take her in. Guess she knew where she was going!!! Love to see some pictures if you have them. I miss my Pekin.

4. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    Here is my new Duck Miss Daisy.

5. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Oh my! That's not a duck. That's an embden goose! I have 3 of them. Edited to add: very cute by the way.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, she is gorgeous!!!!

I leave a night light on because Einz is afraid of the dark. Always has been. I took the advice to "just turn off the light, they'll quiet down." Uhm, no one told the runners that.....

But if we did not have any afraid of the dark, I would not bother with a light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by