Night lighting in a closed coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Steve777, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Steve777

Steve777 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    So i think I need to add some auxiliary light to the coop to extend daylight and boost egg laying. Had planned on using a simple shop type clip on light on a timer, with an LED bulb for now and perhaps a regular incandescent one in colder weather. However I have a few questions about doing this:

1. Does adding light work in a coop when the door is shut at night? We live in a fairly rural area, with lots of chicken-eating predators (foxes, coyotes, weasels, bears, owls, etc). So we shut the coop door at night and open it again at dawn in the am. This has worked well in keeping the hens safe, but I am not sure how this would work with extra light before dawn in the AM and a closed door. I don't think it would be safe to leave the door open all night, and same for the birds waking early and going out in the dark. Is it OK to have the hens in a closed coop for a few hours in the AM?

2. The coop is 4x6' (approximately) and 4' high, it seems that a 40-60W bulb should be more than enough. Does that sound right?

3. Is a clip on shop light nailed/screwed to a rafter adequate? Do I need a more permanent light setup?

Thanks

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Lighting the coop with them confined in the morning works. They wouldn't go out until it was light enough outside anyway. A 40 or a 60 watt bulb will work. An LED work light would be adequate Me I would go with a permanent set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by