Night mare in the works??

336White Phoenix

Songster
May 30, 2018
Ireland
Hi hatched out wee booted bantams there a while back there under a hen who stillthrives to be one of my best broody hens BUT this time is different the wee fellas are lacking energy and there wing feathers have dropped to the floor
Please someone anyone anywhere give me something I can do I've tried tones of different things heating smaller food different brooder even took to the vet and they where only telling me stuff I know and a bunch of BS!!!

Hi hatched out wee booted bantams there a while back there under a hen who stillthrives to be one of my best broody hens BUT this time is different the wee fellas are lacking energy and there wing feathers have dropped to the floor
Please someone anyone anywhere give me something I can do I've tried tones of different things heating smaller food different brooder even took to the vet and they where only telling me stuff I know and a bunch of BS!!!
I'm sorry your chicks are not doing well.
Can you post some photos of your chicks, their poop and where you are keeping them?
How old are they?
I understand you went to the vet, can you tell us what you were told?

Lacking energy and drooping wings makes me think they are too hot or they could be suffering from Coccidiosis. Photos of your brooder set-up will be most helpful, also what is the temperature of you brooder.

There under a hen and I only have a small light for them to see
The vet said that u can only let them run but she did mention something about heat but she said if it's a hen then they should be fine
They are about 1month or less
I'm not at the house but will get pics of there poo later they where pick in up there for a while but there no better now they just dropped back to satge 1 again

IMG_20180620_104443.jpg

There under a hen and I only have a small light for them to see
u can only let them run but she did mention something about heat but she said if it's a hen then they should be fine

May I ask, they need a light to see - where are you keeping them?
If they are with a broody hen, then they do not need any supplemental heat. Momma will tend to that.

What type of feed are you giving them?

I would suspect by the symptoms you describe they are suffering from a Coccidiosis overload. It's a bit unusual for a vet not to test some stool samples.
You can find Corid at most feed stores, I would start them on that to see if they improve.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Ok see where I'm at there is a lot of cars so I can't let them out and don't want them to be in the dark so I put in a 30w energy bulb into there pen but I'm moving them to a smaller pen tonight so I can give them more care

Do they not have access to the outdoors at all? Maybe you can provide them a secured run to move around in.
If they are closed up in housing 24/7 with only a small light bulb, that could be part of your problem too.

Back
Top Bottom