Night of Terror with my rats *pics*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NewHopePoultry, Aug 2, 2008.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Last night suddenly at 11:30 2 of my males that have been housed together for months got into a HUGE fight. Nomrally there is just a small fight over who gets to eat first,etc. And afterwards they are fine and go back to playing together. Well last night for no real reason they got into a knock out drag out fight. Fuzzy is an older rat(over 3) and his son is 7 months old, so of course Fuzzy got his butt kicked.
    I broke the fight up as son as I could, but I noticed that Fuzzy was bleeding alot, so fearing the worst I called up the vet and told him I was on my way. We got there and the bleeding has stopped, and Fuzzy only had a few claw marks on his belly and a few bite marks on his neck. The vet gave him something for pain and put some med on him. With the way he was bleeding, I thought his belly was tore open.
    His belly is bruised up,but other then that he is fine.
    He was back to his old self today. I'm not going to house either one together or with another rat just to be safe since I'm not sure what happpened last night.

Some pictures contain blood, so be warned

Right after the fight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the vet:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Poor little guy. [​IMG] Glad he is going to be alright. I love, love, LOVE, rats!!!

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Samething happen to my male and female hamsters when i use to have alot of hamsters

I had all the males in once 60gal tank and the females in another so there wouldn't be to much over breeding..

Well every once in a blue moon all the males would get into BIG fights with each other and have cuts and everything then i notice the females were doing it as well

Well i later found out when the males and females were coming into heat or just ready to breed was very strong we all no males fight for females well thats why the males were fighting even though there were no females in the tank and the females were fighting each other cuz they were in heat.

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I hope Fuzzy gets better. I will send good thoughts his way. I have had over 30 rats as pets, and I have never had this problem. I only had one with a bad disposition and it was toward me (or humans, in general), not other rats. I explain to a lot of people how wonderful rats are as pets. Mostly, I just get funny looks. And, yes, I have rushed to the vet with them.

5. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I'm so glad I found another rat lover!
    He will be fine, I think his pride is hurt more then anything

6. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh! I am glad he is all right. My 3 girls are always squeaking and running around nipping at each other. I really hope they never end up like that...yikes! Good thing you caught it when you did...

7. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I No clue what the fight was over. I'm pretty sure Fuzzy started it though. Last time I looked at them Fuzzy was in his hammock and DD was in the middle level of the cage in his tube. The next thing I know they are both on the bottom level fighting.

Fuzzy is over 3, so he might of gotten tired of DD wanting to play with him. I've never had this problem before. I've been breeding rats for the last 4 years.
    Rats make great pets [​IMG] I wish more people could see that

8. lady_irish

lady_irish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    SW Ohio
    Poor baby! I'm not really much into rats... but I certainly feel for any animal that gets his butt kicked!! Glad he's doing bettter!!

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I worked at a pet shop for awhile. When people came in wanting a small fuzzy pet I always tried to sell them a rat first. So many people were amazed when I would pull one out and show them what wonderful little creatures they are. I sent a lot of people away with a totally different opinion of rats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by