1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Night Peeps from Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, May 12, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    my 3 week old chicks go thru 'peep sessions' when the lights go out...I know they don't see well, but I find it odd that once they settle down and are quiet, they will remain that way for some time and then hours later get up and start peeping around for a bit, to become quiet again...

...any explaination? I thought I have read that once they settle at night, they stay that way until day break...??? Do I have all night party chicks on my hands or can you think of something they might need and be calling out for???

2. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Three week old chicks should have a lamp to keep them warm round the clock. Your chicks may be telling you they are cold in between sessions of huddling for warmth

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Gentle peeping is what chicks do to settle in for the night until everyone is still. They're just talking to each other... "Oh this is so cozy, get your butt out of my face, hey, let me into the huddle." [​IMG] But like firedove said, they should have a heat lamp at that age. Shrill peeps are a good indicator that they're cold.

4. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Their temp reads 80 degrees F....there is a heat lamp on the brooder next to it, and some of that light shines in on them...but if I put any heat lamp on them it takes them to 88 degrees and they are supposed to be closer to 80 degrees now...which is what it is without the heat lamp...our house is kept at 75...so if the temp in the house drops below 75, the house heater comes on...I don't know if that really is it??? hmmmm....

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:It's not shrilly at all...it sounds more like talking..just gentle peeping...just thought that once they stopped they would stop completely until morning, but they seem to peep at each other ever few hours...for a short while (10 minutes) and then settle again...

6. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    If it's that warm where yo are then it probably isn't a heat problem. It is probably set off by one chick moving. Then the others all tell it to settle back down or else, lol. My favorite sleeping noise is the rising pitch trill when one gets stepped on by another. It's just a really cute sound. They also do quiet trills when they are sleeping.

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:If somebody moves too quickly in the night than the all wake up and have to repeat the 10 minute peep fest all over again. [​IMG] lol. I think they're so darned cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by