1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Night three in their coop and half still pile up in the corner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Birdydeb, May 26, 2016.

1. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess this means they're scared? I have 12 chicks. 6 for the second night are up on roosts and seem content. The other 6 for the third night in a row are piled into a corner near the door of the coop. On the floor. I have a low red light in there just like they had inside and when they were in the garage. I am assuming this is nothing to be concerned about but I just HATE to think of any living thing afraid. :( Now having to deal with heat and humidity during the day after 50 degree days for weeks and now it is 85 and humidity extremely high. They had a tough struggle with that yesterday and I have already discovered there is not enough ventilation. Two 2' x4' windows across from each other just weren't doing it yesterday. Had to get a fan rigged up for the window. Gosh, I know I am not alone this spring with the INSANE weather and rain that never wants to stop so please just forgive the rant.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    This is natural behavior for babies - it is not indicative of fear or discomfort. They will begin to figure out roosting and the pile sleeping will come to an end.

3. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Mine have been out in the coop for a few days now. I know they can get up on the roost since I've seen them up there during the day. I thought tonight would be the night they all stayed up there but nope. I went to go check the run one last time and there they were piled in the corner. The couple of nights I put them on the roost before locking up they did stay though. So I'll just keep checking on them. Good luck!

4. Birdydeb

Thank you for quick response. I know I am just on edge because of the weather. First rain held up completion of the coop(and all we had to do was repair a used one) and now that I finally have them in the coop....30 degree temp jump complete with insane humidity. We were counting on maybe a week of them in the coop while we put finishing touches on the run. Now I have put a rush on it so that they can get out of the stuffy coop. Hopefully if all goes well(it is supposed to rain...again) they will be able to get out in the air and pick their own cool places to lay.

5. Birdydeb

At least I am not alone. Sheesh....crazy chickens. As hot and humid as it is I can't believe that isn't motivation. :)

6. Notaneggspurt

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop

I'm a first time chicken mom, so this has all been a learning experience for me. And I know what you mean about the weather! The outdoor thermometer said it was 91 yesterday!

7. Birdydeb

Well this is gonna drive me nuts. I paid closer attention tonight to who is roosting and who is not. Surprise! It is divided evenly between the two groups of 6 with the older (10 week old) chicks forcing themselves into a corner as far from the other chicks as they can possibly get. I mean they pile on like a pyramid with their heads in the corner. It is the 8 week olds happily perching and looking at the oldsters like they are nuts. I "thought" these guys had integrated. They spent the last month before the coop side by side in dog crates with no problems. They run around during the day with each other and no problems. But they are evidently NOT gonna share a roost area. I tried sitting all 6 on the roosts and one by one they all got down except my favorite rooster who settled down on the roost. Also the youngers have taken the highest roost. I really would not care so much but the nutcases have found the one weak spot in the coop and I can hear them as I cross the yard to the coop fighting and squabbling in that corner. It is a spot that used to be a pop door but we have only nailed it shut....plan is to reinforce it even more but my nutty chickens want to sit by it and holler and carry on like hoodlums. Why don't they just get themselves a bull horn and announce to the world that they are all piled together in the weakest spot in the coop. Really frustrated tonight. I even took my step stool out there and put it in the corner so maybe they would get on it and quit shoving themselves into the corner. All that accomplished was one of them uses the top step of the stool to leverage herself on top of the pile. :(

8. Notaneggspurt

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    @Birdydeb
    Out of curiosity, are they two different breeds?

9. Birdydeb

First group, ( oldest) were 4 RIR and 2 Barred Rock....second group is 4 ISA Browns and 2 RIR....so kinda sorta. I was mulling this myself and thinking along the same lines. The ISA Browns are brats pretty much. All chicks came from TSC so some hatchery's version of their breed. And when I say brats it might be a better explanation that they are front and center, always the first to try anything, always finding something to get in trouble with, just gutsy birds if that makes sense. I have never seen them be aggressive or do a lot of pecking. That would be the two Barred Rocks and one of the Reds. Those three delight in chasing other birds around but not really aggressive...yet. I keep my eye on them. But all 12 eat from the same two feeders and don't seem to split into two groups then. They roll in the pine shavings like they are dust bathing and lay across each other to take naps and don't split into two groups. Just at night. I did a last check and my rooster I put on a roost stayed there and one of the red hens joined him. I guess I am seeing pecking order in play and tomorrow that weak spot in the coop WILL get reinforced and they can stand on their heads to sleep after that. Brats.

10. Notaneggspurt

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Very interesting observations. My first chicks were labeled "Isa Browns" at TSC. I don't have much basis of comparison but mine did seem "less timid"? Maybe that's the term, than my friends mix of breeder purchased pure breeds. Mine are about the same size and feathering.

[​IMG]

I know they can get up on the roost. This was in the evening. But when I went back later after it got darker to close the windows there were huddled in the corner. After reading your post I looked more at the corner. It's where we have the entry to the egg boxes boarded until we get it finished. I could see the light from the driveway light just barely shining through a hole big enough something might could get its paw through :barnie

It's like once it's dark they just go to that corner. I really thought the hay bale would be more inviting and it's plenty big for all of them.
    [​IMG]

But again, only on it during the day.

Thank you @Ol Grey Mare for the reassurance. I'm glad at least they are all together and no one is getting left out. I'll keep an eye on them :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by