1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Night time advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheSpeckledRoo, Dec 11, 2012.

1. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I am having problems with my girls coming back to the coop at night. I open their pen door in the morning to let them free range. When it starts to get dark out sometimes i am missing a hen! I think the hen may be sleeping in the neighbors barn where she houses goats. Does anyone have advice about getting my girls back to the coop? I fear a raccoon might get them :s

2. morsekathan

morsekathan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Mine had this problem too for the first couple of days. They wanted to roost in the trees and we had to get them down and put them in the coop. Way too many raccoons here! I finally locked them the coop for a day. That seemed to do the trick. They also have a small fenced area around their coop that I kept them in for several more days until I was sure everyone was going in at night. No problems since, except one night when one hen decided to "go camping." I check the house every night now and count!

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    My chickens like to sleep on top of my grill! I just carry them over to their coop every night.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As said above, try keeping the birds shut in the coop - it may take several days - to get her used to going to bed on the perch, instead of settling in somewhere else. Once it becomes a habit she should return each night.

5. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

6. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I had one bird who thought she was a guinea and wanted to roost with them. My guineas are "mine" only because I feed them regularly, they just sort of appeared one day. This particular hen could be locked in the coop for weeks on end, she still would go up with the guineas first chance she got. When they roosted up on top of my run, I'd just take her and put her in the coop. Once she went up in the big old Digger Pine, that was that, I wasn't climbing the tree to get her down. Mentally I pretty much said, "Good Bye" to her and let her do her own thing. It ended as I knew it would, one morning I went out and found her body. So, if you have your chickens as pets, I'd try everything and then some to get her to go in the coop. If they're pretty much just for egg production and you're not too attached, you can let her do her own thing but know how it will eventually end.

7. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I had a problem with a certain group of hens. I started going out right before roosting time with their treat cup, I use the same cup every day for treats and they all know this cup and come running, I sprinkle whatever the treat of the day is behind me tiny pieces to make a trail to the coop once were I want them I dump the cup. It took a few nights but they got it, so now when I go out with the cup they run to the coop and wait inside the door for me to bring treats. It is funny, my young cochin wil stand there in the door way jumping up and down and dancing impatiently like a 3 year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by