Night time coop temps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by collickchickens, Jun 20, 2016.

1. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    As our chicks are getting older what temperature should we strive to maintain in the coop at night. My husband is concerned with it getting too hot or cold

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    :welcome

A little more information would be helpful. How old are the chicks? How cold is it getting at night? Are they fully feathered? Do they have enough space to get away from the heat if they want?

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

We need the information asked for in order to help you. Lots of good folks here willing and ready!

4. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    They were hatched on May 4. We are in northern Mi so the temps are in the upper 50 to mid 60s at night. They are fully feathered. And are a mix of sillies. Sizzles and regular feathered birds.

5. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    My reply seems to have disappeared. They hatched may 4 th. I believe they are fully feathered. We are in Northern Michigan our nighttime temps have been upper 50- mid 60 They are a mix of silkies sizzles and regular feathered chickens

6. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Rule of thumb is decrease five degrees Fahrenheit every week. Too much heat and they feather out slow. I use ceramic heat emitter instead of heat lamp as they can sleep at night without light. I do provide lighting during daylight hours.

A draft free place to roost and a full crop going to roost will help keep them warm. If too young to roost then something to huddle in is good. But be sure no corners and enough space to prevent pile up and smothering.

My BCM are a month old and have not had any heat source since three weeks old. They are out on grass all day with a dog igloo for shelter and in the house at night. Daytime in eighties and nineties and night time sixties.

If hatching in cooler temps or time of year I adjust.

7. EggSighted4Life

They should be fine with no heat if as described. Also, how many of them are there?

8. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    There is a total of 8 - 3 silkies 2 sizzles and 3 regular feathers. My husband thinks they still need to stay in the 70 degree range at night or they'll get sick. I thought they were past that stage

9. EggSighted4Life

The temperatures stated are actually the maximum temp needed. They lead us to believe the temp needs to be that constantly, but that's actually what it needs to be when they need to go warm up from getting cold.

I would leave them without heat and check on them. If they are loud peeping and upset maybe they are cold. But they should be ok.

It's awesome that your hubby is concerned and wants the best for them!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    At a month and a half, they are fine without heat at night with those temps. Too warm is actually harder on them than too cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by