Night-time Coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BGHChicken, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BGHChicken

BGHChicken New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    We lock up our "girls" for the night in their coop. What besides fresh, cool water should be provided in the coop at night? Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts on the subject.

2. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My girls have a night light, 2 fans running, their (hanging) bucket of food, a dish of grit, a dish of calcium, fresh water, and a regular light on a timer. In the winter, when it's cold, they have heat lamps--white for day & red for night. But my girls are spoiled, lol...

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    If they are in there for the night time only, they really don't need anything like that. Once they are on the roost, they don't get down until daylight.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I wouldn't put anything in the coop. Food will just attract rodents. They are pretty helpless at night and will not be eating or drinking.

5. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

The tractor is locked at night, the coop is always open. There food & water in the tractor, the birds go to bed in the coop around dust, get up at dawn & go about their business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by