Night time crowding fatalities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicmower, Mar 23, 2008.

1. vicmower

vicmower Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Any tips out there to help keep chicks from cramming themselves in the corner of the brooder and suffocating the ones on bottom. Thanks, Victor.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

round out the corners so they can't pile up so easily

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Put cardboard across the corners so there aren't any actual corners and lower the light some. Perhaps move the light toward the center of the brooder? Sounds like they are too cold. I've never had anything like that happen.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Is the brooder big enough and the heatlamp warm enough right underneath?...Thats usually when they start piling when they are cold....there should be enough heat that they would be milling around eating and drinking then sleeping....

First week for chicks right under a heatlamp should be 95 with room to get away from the lamp if needed... 5 degrees less each week after....

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Definetly round out those corners. Even if you have enough heat they will do this in a square box. They like to sleep close together and if one gets pushed in the corner it will suffocate. you can just break down a cardboard box and use it to round out. Check your temps just in case.

6. vicmower

vicmower Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the ideas I will try them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by