Night time crowing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grizzlys_girl, Oct 16, 2009.

1. grizzlys_girl

grizzlys_girl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Sunshine Coast
    The rooster we have crows at different times during the night and into early morning. I am not sure if this is normal or is there away (apart from the obvious dinner plate solution) to stop him crowing at these silly hours. Thanks

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I hear mine occasionally in the wee hours of the morning...2,3 4 o'clock. Nowhere near sun up [​IMG]

I think he does it when he hears something out of the ordinary. We live in a woodsy area with lots of wildlife. But whatever he is doing, I cant complain because he havent lost a bird in almost a year to wildlife...now the neighbors dog is a different story....

3. pdpchef

pdpchef New Egg

May 5, 2009
    bridgton
    we are having the exact same problem. He starts around 4 am, then keeps on going through the day. It seems to be triggered by noise in the yard during the day, so I am wondering if he is responding to noises at night also. Any advice would be helpful. we would also hate the dinner plate solution, But I am irritated by the early wake up, so I can only imagine how my neighbors feel!

4. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I personally think that they are messed up because we have decided to mess with the daylight savings time issue. Mine is going strong all of a sudden at 5 am instead of his normal daylight time. [​IMG]

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine starts around 5 too. It's dark past 6:30. But when I let them out he barely crows all day. I have three others that make no noise at all. What the heck?

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Mine will crow all night if there's a full moon, ir I leave the porch light on.

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Mine crows only 4 or 5 sessions a day. There is one thing that you can bet on though, you can set your watch by him at 4:30 in the morning, every morning. I guess when time changes Nov. 1st., he will be crowing at 3:30. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Roosters and chickens in general are not all that bright. My rooster gets all confused by the street lights on the freeway.

There is a big advertising sign along the freeway, and there is a short or something wrong with it.

When it shuts down, everything is fine, but when the light comes back on the rooster starts crowing and the hens get down and start pecking around.

Lucky the noise from the freeway drowns it all out.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by