Night Time Hassle

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scubak, Jul 5, 2011.

1. scubak

scubak New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    We have Light Sussex hens which are about 2 years old and three weeks ago got 2 smaller brown hens (so far not sure of their breed) we have some peeking at food time but when it comes to bed time the Light Sussex hens will not let the brown ones in to the hutch. We have changed the hutch to a larger one but still they won’t let them in. When it gets to about 9.30pm I have to pick up the brown hens and push them pass the old ones. Please help.

2. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    This can be a problem. We have 14 Silkies and 8 hatched in April Silkies. The older Flock
    does NOT cause a problem. And 4 April Silkies go in and take a small spot in the Barn. The
    other 4 Buffs do not GO IN.

We have been going down each evening about 9:30 and making sure they are all in. We are going to this until the weather changes to WINTER. If they don't go in by then...they are going to present a REAL Problem. I guess some chickens are like that.

If I find a solution I will let you know and likewise....if you find one ...post it. Regards, Aria

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I had a dog cage that I put into the coop that held the younger chicks. I put a screen in front of it to keep the older chicken from harming the younger ones (which proved superfluous as the older ones never cared about the younger ones sleeping there). They slept on the floor in the dog cage for a while and now that they are getting bigger they are trying to go up on the rafters with the larger hens. I think the secret ingredient was putting the closed dog cage into the coop when I closed it up at night. Waking up with the chicks on the floor didn't seem to bother the big birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by