Night time issues...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zythophile, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Zythophile

Zythophile Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Oxford, UK
    Hello guys,

So had my two hens (malt and hops who are both oxford/geeno blues) for about 8 weeks now...first of all they were in a pen but about 3-4 weeks ago I moved their coop to the middle of the garden and let them free range all day. They seem a lot happier and lay an egg a day each, put themselves in the coop each night and everything seemed quite routine. Until this week that is! For some reason every day at dusk they decide to roost here...

[​IMG]

Why my motorbikes seem so much better I don't know! I have to either pick them up and take them to the coop or I just walk down and they follow me. There is a light in their coop as there always has been...I'm not sure what's changed?? Our only real predators here are foxes and I haven't seen one in the area at all in months, but I wouldn't like to leave the chickens out on my bikes all night!

Why are they doing this now and how do I discourage it??

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Are those bikes in an area that they see you go in and out of to check on them or close their coop?

3. Zythophile

Nov 11, 2013
    Oxford, UK
    It's right by my back door...the coop is about 30 yards down the garden

4. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Welcome to the spoiled chickens group. [​IMG] They want to be handled and get as close to you as possible, you are part of their flock now. If you want to stop it then you will have to block their access to the area. My rooster gets onto my deep freeze on my screened in porch and waits for me to put him up every night. If I pass him without talking to him or picking him up he makes fussy sounds and flies to the coop. It's nothing to worry about but you do have to decide on how spoiled you want them to be.

5. Zythophile

Nov 11, 2013
    Oxford, UK
    I mean the bikes are right by the back door, where I go in and out of. Their coop is about 30 yards down the garden from the bikes, but the garden is stepped, so there are steps down to the first part of the garden which is about 20 yards long, then another drop/steps and their coop is in the first ten yards of that section which is about 40 yards long....

6. Zythophile

Nov 11, 2013
    Oxford, UK
    Haha I think they are just waiting for food...they don't like being handled much haha.

7. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    You would be surprised, my rooster won't get within reaching distance of me unless he is on that freezer. Food is always a good motivation for them too.

8. Zythophile

Nov 11, 2013
    Oxford, UK
    They do hang around there quite a bit during the day...as soon as they hear the door go they come running up the garden :) but I think they are actually trying to roost there...it is the highest point of the garden and the light from the house keeps it quite well lit...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by