1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

night time poops

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ontimeborzoi, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    I was reading on another thread, since closed, that it is not normal for chickens to produce the truely heroic amounts of poop that they do when roosting. Is this true?! The writer was saying that the problem is our feed, that chickens are not vegetarians and yet we feed them strictly grain diets, and that the copious poop is from undigested, unutilized food.
    I feed my dogs a lot of raw meat and bones and it has made an amazing difference in their general health, no more ear, skin or picky gland infections.
    Are we feeding our chickens an inappropriate ( yet undeniably convenient ) diet??
    I'm thinking on how to change up my feed, add cat food perhaps, and see what happens with the pooping thing.

2. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    I don't know what a "picky" gland is! LOL When i went to edit that it shows 'picky gland' just fine. Whats up with that?

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:[​IMG] That is the BYC "auto editor" changing those glands that dogs have in their rear to something less "offensive"

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I don't know about the diet thing, I do know my chickens have free ranged all day every day in the past and they still pooped like crazy at night. I really don't think the feed is undigested or unutilized, though, because their poop is clearly...poop not just blobs of indigested feed.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    That's the best BYC auto-swearword-correct EVER!

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's perfectly normal for chickens to eliminate at night. This is why some folks have "drop boards". In the winter I send the girls to bed with a full crop so they digest during the night and stay warmer.

Bombs awwwwaaaaayyyyyy! [​IMG]

Rancher

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't think chickens should only eat meat and insects. When they free range and can eat anything they want, they choose to eat a wide variety of foods. They choose to eat grass, dark leafy greens, seeds, fruits and some vegetables, as well as lots of insects, worms, larva and the occasional lizard, mouse or small bird. That's a long list of foods that not only have a full range of vitamins and minerals, most have a lot of fiber in them. I don't think fiber is bad for chickens.

I think if you gave chickens all the insects, worms, larva and meat they wanted, they would still crave some of the other foods that provide nutrients that they need. They need more than meaty foods can provide and those other foods contain fiber. Fiber comes out as chicken poop.

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I read that chickens do 60-90% of their pooping at night, which is pretty amazing given how much they poop throughout the day! I have a poop pit, and it is filling up fast these days...

10. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    If you're a chicken or an active human the way to say Good Morning is to create a Stink about it!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by