night time temp for 4wk old pullet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sbtgal, Oct 4, 2011.

1. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    During the day I have been free ranging my youngest pullets with the older ones and everyone is getting along very well. The temperature outside at night is in the mid to lower 60's. The five and six week old are mostly feathered out except their heads. I think they would be OK. The four week old has her wing feathers, tail and the feathers on her body are slowly coming in. I'm wondering if it would be OK to let her stay outside in the coop with the others. Hauling dog crates in and out every day is a pain. I'm leaving to go out of town in a few days and I'd like to make "chicken care" as simple as possible for my DH while I'm gone.

Here's a current picture of Black Betty - my sassy Australorp. OH, and is that tail long for a pullet? She is a freak compared to my other stumpy tailed girls. No comb or wattles to speak of yet.
    [​IMG]

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    she is a cutie!.....i wouldnt leave her out if it drops much lower then 60 degrees

3. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    WOOOHOOOOO! All the girls are out of the house and into the coop! The little ones all did fine including the 4 week old. The older girls have accepted everyone and they are finally moving as ONE flock. Man it sure is nice to not worry about lugging a dog crate in and out of the house. Plus now I only have ONE feeder and ONE water station to manage, and NO pine shavings in the house. Now when I go home for lunch I can sit and enjoy the chickens instead of rushing to get everyone situated and still have time to eat. <SIGH>
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by