Night Time Temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annanicole18, May 1, 2009.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have my homemade incubator in the most unused room of the house ie its only purpose currently is my incubator. but this morning i woke up to find that the 99-100 temp it was maintaining all day had dropped to 97! this is my first hatch and i just set my eggs yesterday. now my humidity was a little off for a while i guess that happened from opening and putting th eggs in but now its between 49-53 is that ok or should i just quit now cuz everything seems to be off. thanks for any tips

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Naw, don't give up. You definitely need to address the temperature drop issue. Is the room that the incubator is in "climate controlled" in that it has a constant temperature or does it fluctuate a good bit? You might need to move the incubator to a more stable environment.

The humidity level is a tad high from what I would be shooting for, but there's been many a chick incubated at that humidity level and subsequently hatched.

Definitely address the temperature issue and get it stabilized, but by all means....don't quit now. [​IMG]

Ed

3. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    so lower humidity is better than higher? so i'm ok down at 45 and up to 50. the room doesnt feel like a change to me but then again i'm not a thermometer it just might be the difference in me moving it from a outside wall to the inside wall for 3 degrees.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I think a lot of folks hit in that range. I'm shooting for 40-45% myself and then around 65% for the hatch. Here are a couple of articles found here on BYC that you should read...they are different ways of incubating.

This article details the "dry incubation" method:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

This article supports a higher humidity level:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-hatch.html

You don't want'em to dry, you don't want'em to wet...you want'em just right....which is the goal that we're striving to attain.

What is your environment like where you live? Moving it from the outside wall to the inside and experiencing a temperature drop would make my simple mind think that it is warm where you live. Yes, a change of only a couple of degrees is something that most folks probably couldn't detect.

Take care,
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by