night time temp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dixiedoodle, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Picked up my new babies tonight. 11 true Ameraucanas- 3weeks old. Much larger than I had expected. Never had chicks before. The breeder has never had them under a light. They were in a tub w/ wire on top. I got home tonight, had to re-work a pen for them.. Didn't finish until 9:30--put them in the cage and they wouldn't go in to the 'room' (enclosed area w/a small open door), they stayed out in the run area ( double wired w/ welded and 1/4" hardware cloth). It"s 82* now (11:30pm) IS this too cool for them? I am so worried about them . I went out to check on them and they are all lined up -snoozing- just barely touching each other.. I hope to get them into the room area tomorrow night... YES I am a worried new chicky mom... Thanks Dixie

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You may have to actually put them where you want them to sleep at night a few times before they get the idea.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Well, they all made it thru the night! My handwork held up very well...will finish the door tonight. They found their room and each time I go out there, they run in and hide. I have a large waterer and a bowl full of crumbles.. Pictures tonight..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by