Night watch-DOG?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalCrazed, Oct 5, 2011.

1. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I just HAD so share this story! First a little backgroung: I have 3 full grown hens over two years old and i live in the middle of a small city in idaho. At the begening of the summer two years ago when i first got my chickens a neighbors dog found it's way into my back yard and attacked my poor birds in the very early morning when we were all inside sleeping, including my dog! luckly he only got one of them! i just kept blaming myself for it! [​IMG]
    So a few nights ago, late at night my own dog (a 7 year old golden retriever) all of the sudden raced off our deck barking angrily into the yard! "what in the world" this was a very unusual thing for him because he never barks at anything! both me and my husband turn on the porch light and go investigate! we come out to see something dissapear through the corner of the fence! it was either a small dog or a large cat but either way koda had done his job!! i was so proud of him, and now i know as long as he is on watch my house and chickens are safe!!

[​IMG]

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    That's cute [​IMG]. Thanks for sharing. He's very cute and HIS girls are very pretty!! [​IMG]

3. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Good Dog! I hope he got a (non chicken) flavored treat!
    Our golden retriever (6 1/2 yrs old) is the our chickens guardian. He patrols around the coop and chases off scary things like foxes, squirrels, chipmunks..... mice.....more squirrels....more chipmunks.... hopefully never coyotes. The chickens will all free range around him and will lay in the sun with him. One of the gold sebright pullets is sweet on him and follows him everywhere he goes. It's really cute.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You have a very good watch dog. I'm tickled that he got the job done so well.

Okay I can't resist; Aren't all the cities in Idaho small? [​IMG]

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Great Dog! [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Good boy!! [​IMG]
    Wanna biscut?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks everyone, i'm glad you liked my story cause i love reading all of yours! [​IMG]

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

good boy...made me smile...love your girls big fluffy butts...I hope you told him you were proud of him...thanks for sharing.

10. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    What breeds of dogs make good/safe guardians for chickens without killing the chickens themselves?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by