nightime mites...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurasLorps, Oct 28, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I just went out to check on the girls and noticed some mites crawling around the roost!!! I am headed to get some dust or spray first thing tomorrow. I've read here that these mites hide in cracks and crevices of the coop during the day and only come out at night, so I have some questions about the best strategy for treating the coop (I'll dust the girls too)

1. Is dust or spray better? It seems like spray would be better to get into cracks, but will it rot my wood coop?
    2. Is it better to treat the coop during the day or at night when all the mites come out?

I'd be thankful for any advice or tips! I'm still new at this whole chicken thing and this is my first battle with mites

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My understanding is that you have to treat the coop and the birds and then RE-TREAT again in 10 days to get the larvae. (eww)

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I use permethrin 10% spray. Mix it up 6.4 ounces per gallon of water for servere infestations. Lock the girls out of the coop and spray everything down inside the coop. I use a pump sprayer. 1.28 ounces per gallon for use ON the birds. Spray the birds down, under wings, vent,etc. Do it 7-10 days later.

You can also use Ivermectin pour on. .25 cc bantams .50 cc for standards. Apply it on the base of their neck. Lasts around 6 weeks.

6. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    sundown, how long do you keep the chickens out of the coop after you spray?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by