Nightime

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catlvr976, May 8, 2007.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I have a question. At night, do chickens become almost comatose? I hear everyone talk about nightime being the time to move them (like a broody hen and her nest), or do whatever.

When chickens sleep at night, are they just totally out of it? Do they not wake up at all until morning? I have this picture in my mind of chickens sleeping at night and a bomb could go off right outside their coop and they wouldn't even know it. Is that how they are?

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Well...hopefully some more experienced members will chime in but I know that when I've checked on ours...they wake up but are very much more calm than in daytime.[​IMG]

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I doubt mine are comatose since my rooster crows during the night! [​IMG] However, yes, if it's dark, you can pick them up easily and move them around. That's when a lot of people...hmmm...how can I say this delicately?...that's when a lot of people take care of any chickens they plan on eating. (Get my drift?)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by