Nightmare Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickychucky, May 21, 2016.

1. chickychucky

chickychucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    We have 4 hens and 1 cockerel. They keep flying over the fence into next doors field. This is very annoying as we have put up extra chicken wire on it and added sticks to support it but they still fly over. We have spent hours trying to stop them but it is impossible. We can't clip their wings because the cockerel won't even let us touch them. We thought about getting rid of him but whenever we pick him up he turns around and pecks our arms. I'm not sure about putting them in a run because they have always been waking around and they'll probably get mad if they're stuck in there. We can't think of any way to stop them and the neighbours have started to complain. Please help!!![​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    The only thing you can do is get rid of that cockerel, I advise putting on thick clothing to protect yourselves and gloves. The only way to stop them from flying over is by clipping their wings or cover your run area. I hope you get it figured out!

3. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I agree you need to get rid of the rooster, put him on Craigs list or catch him. Put him in a dog crate, garage, bathroom whatever. Put on a coat or throw a blanket over him, get a big fish net. Then clip the flight wings on the hens. I would do both sides at once that way if you clip one side and that doesn't work you have to clip the other side. There are so many good roosters out there looking for a good home you don't have to put up with this one. Chickens should be a pleasent experience and you don't seem to be having that. You need to make changes, clip the wings and get rid of the rooster.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your hens could get used to being in an enclosed run - if you don't give in to them. You could also put a substantial top on your run so they cannot fly out. It would also provide some shelter from rain or snow, hail etc. Plus keep out climbers and raptors.

As for the roo there is NEVER a good reason to keep a BAD roo. Put him on Craig's list or in the soup pot. You don't need a rooster unless you want fertile eggs for hatching or sale. Your hens will be less stressed and continue to lay just as many eggs without a roo.

Your neighbors will stop complaining to you, and your hens will be safer. The best way to get your roo, is wait till he is roosting at night, throw a towel or net over him and stick him in a crate, till you can process him or get someone else to take him. The say the meanest roos make the best stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by