Nightmare Egg

Little Meadow Big Sky

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 22, 2017
A friend I give eggs to sent me this. So, I did not see it personally and therefore couldn't "autoopsy" whatever the heck that is. But, holy moly, it's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen! Anybody have any idea what it might be?

Sorry for subjecting others to it, but lordy, I'd sure like to know what we're dealing with here. Thanks!

Attachments

• Nightmare Egg.jpg
    Nightmare Egg.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a lash egg (bacterial infection). Odd that it's inside another egg - usually it's laid instead of a normal egg - but it's not impossible.
Looked up lash egg and saw this line, "An early sign of salpingitis is consistently laying soft or wrinkled eggs." We have been getting wrinkled eggs from one hen for awhile, so this does make sense. Unfortunately, we don't know which one it is (we have about 30). Reckon we'll have to make it a mission to identify her and cull the poor dear.

Thanks so much!!

So, I did not see it personally and therefore couldn't "autoopsy" whatever the heck that is.
I tell my customers if they find something weird in an egg to put the whole things, she and all, into a container and give it to me. Further dissection is pretty important in finding/solving and issue.

I tell my customers if they find something weird in an egg to put the whole things, she and all, into a container and give it to me. Further dissection is pretty important in finding/solving and issue.
Excellent tip, I'll definitely being doing that in future. Thanks.

Looked up lash egg and saw this line, "An early sign of salpingitis is consistently laying soft or wrinkled eggs." We have been getting wrinkled eggs from one hen for awhile, so this does make sense. Unfortunately, we don't know which one it is (we have about 30). Reckon we'll have to make it a mission to identify her and cull the poor dear.

Thanks so much!!
I get wrinkled eggs too from my one hen, but it can also be from infectious bronchitis, and even after they’ve recovered they can lay wrinkled eggs for years. There may be other causes as well. Just wanted to throw that out there!

Back
Top Bottom