Nightsong

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gsim, Nov 15, 2010.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I am a member since around mid-year 2009. I have a flock of 23 hens, 4 breeds.

Our routine is to lock down our coop at dusk. (I know, extra work, but no losses to predators yet) When either of us goes out there at dusk, it is nearly quiet with only an occasional sound coming from the coop. As soon as the first of the two guillotine-style pop doors is dropped down, the Nightsong begins. All 23 chooks commence to making a keening sound. It is a soothing sound, not panicky or sorrowful. When we step inside, it is too cool since I have roosts on 3 sides, we get a full stereophonic effect. They keep on doing it as we make our rounds patting each one on the back briefly and speaking softly to them. We can hear it as we walk out and leave the coop and run. They have not always done this and some used to fuss a bit if we touched them while on their roost. Over time however, they have come to where now, they all sing their night song to us.

It is a completely different sound than that which they make at daylight when I go out to raise up the pop doors. Am wondering if anyone else has this phenomona or is it only with my flock?

[​IMG]

Gerry

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    i would say mine have a version of a nightsong, with just 4, im sure it is not as spectacular as yours, but i go in the they make a soothing coo as they settle down for the night.

3. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Chicken lullaby? You should record it.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Mine do that when I make a sudden noise in the coop at night. It's a kind of low, trilling, "whooo!" that goes on and on. When there were fifity of them, it was quite spectacular (and a bit creepy out there in the dark!)

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    That is wonderful!

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Their Daybreak song is completely different. Lots of clucking and some bawking by a Rhodie and a Buff Comet. In fact, those bawkers and one or two barred rocks will climb up on the flowerboxes (I know, {blush} who puts flowerboxes on a henhouse? [​IMG] ) But anyhow, these few do hop up there and bawk at me because they want back in to lay an egg or to hit the feed trough. [​IMG] I always close them out when I do morning coop chores. Am always afraid of stepping on one. So I just throw some scratch on the ground after opening the pop doors and then while they are occupied, I just close myself in the coop to do the chores. Never exceeds 4-5 minutes, tops.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    arent chickens great

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH is amazed at what the chickens do...said he never knew they could be so much fun and so interesting...he says this after me begging for 3 years to get chickens!!

9. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    I'd love to hear a recording of that. My Silkie and Cochin have a snore that sounds like a coo whenever they sleep, but a whole flock cooing would be wonderful.

10. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

My DH is amazed at what the chickens do...said he never knew they could be so much fun and so interesting...he says this after me begging for 3 years to get chickens!!

Mine says the same thing. He only made me wait two years though.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by