1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nighttime chicken party in an unlit coop? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msjones, Nov 23, 2009.

1. msjones

msjones Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    This morning around 5:00 -- still completely dark-- my husband saw the girls up and about out in the run. (Yes, the run is fully enclosed and as critter-proof as we can get it...) Our coop/run is not lit. The sun doesn't come up lately until around 7:00.

I thought they were night blind. How and why would they be up so long before sunrise?

Our neighbor's famous barking dog does tend to have a barking spell around 5:00, but we didn't hear one today.

There is a street lamp one lot away, so it's not completely dark. Would that be the reason? Or should I suspect that something got in there and woke them? There was no evidence of any critter getting in.

Anyone else have chickens up and at it in the dark?[​IMG]

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I frequently hear my roo crowing when I leave for work in the mornings. I have to leave by 6:00 a.m. and it's still pitch black. I'm pretty sure he's telling his girls to get their lazy bums out of bed - if Mom has to get up and go to work, so do they! [​IMG]

3. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    Do hens do this, too? And, really, what does that say about their 'night-blindness?'

4. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    The nites I get up because I can't sleep (eggopause) the light in the kitchen wakes up the roos at 3 AM. They either can hear or see the light thru the window. They cut it out after a while...I think because the hens beat him to shut up. (Picture a hen in a housecoat and rollers yanking the blankets away from him after giving him a resounding slap![​IMG])

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Tell 'em Halloween was weeks ago and it's time to quick playing vampire chickens [​IMG]

Or maybe they're just Twilight fans and disappointed that you didn't take them to the new movie.

6. Rangely

Rangely Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Fort Collins
    I go out at the crack of dawn, sometimes just before, and my one hen has already laid. Every day - same thing. I'm thinking she sleep walks, or I guess it would be sleep laying. [​IMG]

7. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    Well, as if the early rising phenomena weren't enough, today ONE OF MY HENS CROWED AT DAWN.

This is NOT what I need with my chicken-averse neighbor.

I'm CERTAIN she is a hen -- looks almost identical to the other 2 buffs her age. It was sort of a pathetic crow-ish crow, but there was no doubt. We could hear it, but I wouldn't call it loud.

I think my neighbor might call it loud, though...

8. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:I'll have to share the vampire chicken idea with my boys. They'll like that. [​IMG]
    It is a little creepy to see them out there in the dark...

9. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:So, chickens aren't night-blind after all?

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:So, chickens aren't night-blind after all?

I don't know about chickens, but I can tell you that my parrots, while they will completely go silent if I turn the light off, can and will still continue to climb about in their cages...though they will take a huge fright if something unexpected happens while they are in the dark. So they can see but seem a lot more prone to panic when it is dark. Especially the African Grey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by