Nighttime coop terror

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Azmomm, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    My chicks just turned 6 weeks. They have been in the coop/ run for almost 3 weeks, but only have been without a red light in coop for about a week. They go in and out all day and at dusk return to coop. As soon as i shut the little door, presumably gets proportionally darker inside, they go nuts. Scramble to the corner and dog pile one another. They are chirping and trilling like they are dying. They settle within an hour. And in morning they can becseen sleeping on floor slightly apart.
    There are 8 chicks all same age. The coop is 8 feet tall, 7 ft by 4 ft. The temps at night in coop range from 70s to mid 50s. Will this pass or do i need to put more perches. Right niw 2 perches lower at about 6 inches up and higher at 3 ft

2. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    They do nt utilize perches at night but sometimes sit on them during day

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    It sounds like the sudden darkness is startling them. Would it be possible for you to slow down the "it's getting dark" part of their evening? Maybe close the door 2/3 of the way to warn them of what's coming and then close it properly a bit later?

As for perching, they are a bit young, but should start using the perches soon. Mine likes sleeping on the floor when no mom was available for ages before starting to use the perches for roosting.

Mybackyardpeepers and Azmomm like this.
  4. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)
    Mine did that for a number of weeks when they first went into the coop and run.

They'll get it and settle into their spots on the roosts. You just need to give them time and let them figure it out.

What was the point of the red light? They don't need anything other than natural sunlight and the waning and absence thereof.

5. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    Thanks. When i put them out at 3 wks it was still 30s and 40s at night. High elevation az has huge day night swings in temp

animalcule likes this.
  6. is it possible that it is the noise of the door lowering that is startling them?

7. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    Possible, but they see me coming as i also do small chores in coop with them near. Like putting up the hanging feeder and removing any uneated twigs or branches from their treats. It is so sad to see them leaping on one another in the corner and crushing each other. Tonight i am leaving the hatch open as the weather is good

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Are there any windows in the coop so they still get some light while trying to get settled inside?

aart and Azmomm like this.
  9. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    Yes a large window over nest boxes and a window in eve

animalcule likes this.
  10. Fatherdowling

Fatherdowling Chirping

Mar 27, 2019
    Glide, OR
    I would recommend moving them into the run with the sun still above the horizon, that way the coop won't be pitch black when you close them in at night. As long as your coop windows have hardware cloth over them, leave the windows open so light can show through as well when you lock them up.
    The other point you made about your chick's jumping on top of each, that's normal for adolescent chick's, they are very rambunctious at that age.

Azmomm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: