Nighttime Duck House Size

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvmyducks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    How big does a nighttime house need to be for 4 ducks? They are Magpies if that matters for size. They are out during the day but I am thinking of changing their nighttime pen/house.

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    You could probably make something that is 16 square feet. 4'x4'

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, that would be good space for them.
    Right now I have 11 growing ducks in that size at night and they are not happy. Neither am I because it has to be cleaned every day. Ick!

4. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Are they quiet when they are locked in at night? Right now they free range during the day and then put them in their pen at night. They mostly sleep in the pool but sometimes go in their house. The problem is they will sometimes start quacking at 10 pm or even 4:30 in the morning!!!! [​IMG] My neighbors are NOT going to like that!! I am wondering if I lock them in a closed house at night...I hate to take away their freedom of sleeping in the pool...but will they be quiet in there??

5. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Hahahaha....well the 'noise' will be somewhat muffled, I suppose, inside a house. Once we put ours in they may make a little noise but not much. They DO let me know in the morning when to let them out. Also, a side note, Make sure the house has plenty of ventilation and to keep it cleaner longer...don't give them food or water inside the house.....I made that mistake...

6. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Will they start quacking as soon as the sun comes up? Oh good grief!! [​IMG] The neighbors are going to hate me.

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:They shouldn't.

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Mine let me know it is time to let them out - they starting quacking at around sun up. Of Course part of the reason is that their house has a 'porch'. So they can see the sun come up and know it is time to be out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by