nighttime feeding and watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by klmclain1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. klmclain1

klmclain1 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm new at this... my chickens (5 black australorps and 3 white leghorns) are now 7 weeks old and we've moved them into a chicken tractor we just built so they have more room to run around [​IMG]. I've set up large water bottles (the kind with the nozzle and metal ball) and a hanging feeder in the outside part of the tractor, but I don't know if I'm supposed to provide food and water for them all night inside the coop too? If so, suggestions for waterers are needed as they knock over the traditional bottles with bowls under them. Thanks a bunch!! [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Chicken roost at night and without artificial light aren't active, so no, you don't need to provide them with food and water at night.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Thank you Katy! I appreciate the info!!

4. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Chirping

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    What if you are keeping a light on at night to help egg production in the winter?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't give them artificial lights ever. I prefer to let mother nature guide when they lay. I like to let them have their natural time off from laying.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    But if you have a light, I would be sure they have food and water at all times.

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have to provide food and water at night.The wife cannot go into the coop with the roosters,so I do it when I get home in the evening.Also I have extra coturnix quail in there cleaning the ground in the run,and they are chirping at me to feed them when I get in. [​IMG]

8. HLAC

HLAC Songster

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I keep a light on in the layer's coop 24/7. The hens have water available at all times but I don't worry if they don't have food over-night. They sleep most of the night anyhow, even with the light on.

(during the blizzard we lost power and my chickens were sooo lost without their nightlite. It was kind of funny)

I don't like having food outside in the run at night because rats and rabbits will eat out of the feeder in the dark and I don't want to support either.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If they have no light they will not eat or drink, but did anyone notice the chicks are only 7 weeks old??? Just saying, I never had chicks off light at that age, so mine may have been eating & drinking at night.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I use either a red light or a heat emitter so their natural sleep patterns aren't upset no matter how old they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: