Nighttime Quacker

nelleyoukai

Chirping
Jan 1, 2016
Hey guys, my 6-7 month old Pekin duck (female) quacks so loud, every time she hears a sound at night! We cant even talk in the kitchen or boil the kettle or turn the taps on, flush the toilet without her going off!
We're in a really quiet residential area and I'm worried that our neighbors are going to start complaining soon- this happens every single night.
Has anyone had this problem before? I really dont want to have to rehome her as she is our only female duck (we have two left in our flock but the other is a drake)

Also, they don't sleep in the kennel we've provided them, they chose to take over the dog's much larger kennel under the patio close to the house instead. They also prefer to sleep under the bushes along side the fence.
We're fixing up an old chicken tractor to pen them up in at night- do you think will help at all? If they're closed up somewhere?
I also make sure they have food and water to get them through the night.
She hasn't started laying yet either, I'm not really sure when she is supposed to though, plus its winter and raining, I've been told that the seasons will have an effect on when she starts laying. aha.

Thank you in advance!

Hey guys, my 6-7 month old Pekin duck (female) quacks so loud, every time she hears a sound at night! We cant even talk in the kitchen or boil the kettle or turn the taps on, flush the toilet without her going off!
We're in a really quiet residential area and I'm worried that our neighbors are going to start complaining soon- this happens every single night.
Has anyone had this problem before? I really dont want to have to rehome her as she is our only female duck (we have two left in our flock but the other is a drake)

Also, they don't sleep in the kennel we've provided them, they chose to take over the dog's much larger kennel under the patio close to the house instead. They also prefer to sleep under the bushes along side the fence.
We're fixing up an old chicken tractor to pen them up in at night- do you think will help at all? If they're closed up somewhere?
I also make sure they have food and water to get them through the night.
She hasn't started laying yet either, I'm not really sure when she is supposed to though, plus its winter and raining, I've been told that the seasons will have an effect on when she starts laying. aha.

Thank you in advance!
@nelleyoukai I would def get them up at night they hear predators etc as you know and being closed up will help her feel more secure. Make sure they have good ventilation though that is important for their health. But Sooner or later she will draw the attention to more than the neighbors a predator will find them. She'll probably begin laying in spring when days are longer. Hopefully having a secure house will keep the quacking down.

Back
Top Bottom