Nile finally gets some older girlfriends

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by smw18, Apr 18, 2012.

1. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    So my roo is to harsh on my younger girls and they are way to young and he cant really control himself, so I had no choice but to remove him. My girls were going bare back for a while there and I just couldnt take it.
    I finally got some girls for him and let them go through the waiting period to see if they were sick and all and placed them in there with him. Well, boys being boys got to excited and bred with them right off the bat, not giving them time to get fully out of the nesting box.
    My grandma has a fear of chickens so the sight scared her and was screaming he is killing her! I had to calm her down while laughing hard that he wasnt trying to kill her or attack her. That wasnt what he was doing.
    It only lasted a few seconds and they all mellowed out. Checked on them this morning and they two girls were in their boxes and Nile was on his stand that was right across from the girls. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very nice. Maybe your rooster will calm down with age.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hopefully, all will settle down. [​IMG]

4. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    They have seemed to sttle down a lot already. I think it was just the whole new girls and they are the right age and him being in a coop next to under aged girls that had gotten him all worked up. He had to wait a month before they could be placed inside his coop and it got him all worked up. Poor guy, I felt so bad but I didnt want to risk putting new chickens in there, then them be sick, and then him get sick.

5. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    quick question. If you handle the eggs to much, and the hen stops sitting on them for over 3 hours what is the likely hood that she will sit on them again?
    My cousin kept taking them out to show everyone when I wasnt looking and she just stopped sitting and it was getting cold out due to rain so I sent them to a friend with a incubator. What is the likely hood that they may still hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by