Nine chickens three eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchick1358, Nov 15, 2016.

1. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    We have a small flock of nine hens three buffs two Sussex two australorp and two red stars. The Australopithecus, one Sussex and the red stars are all under a year. I know that the four older hens have stopped laying because they are molting, but from what I can the one the younger Sussex and one of the australopes has stopped laying as well. Those two birds look healthy and are not molting any ideas why they have stop laying all together? We are getting two eggs every day from our red stars and one every other day from the austalope. Thanks for your help

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Did you check to see if they were laying somewhere other then the nesting boxes?

3. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Dont feel too bad. I have 20 older hens and 9 young ones just now 6 mos old. Im getting 2 to 3 eggs a day. Not a single young one xcept for two birds is laying. and it looks like an exploded pillow factory in the coop from all the molting.

4. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Yes I've looked all around the coop and the run. I'm thinking of adding another feeder because the two that are not laying are on the bottom of the pecking order. For some reason the flock has never seemed to fully except them they only hang out with each other and for the first few months were not allowed to go into the coop without me physically put there every night for two weeks I think they still wouldn't be allowed in. It's odd because the three that are laying now are younger then the two that are not and the older hens took to them mediately. While still giving the older two the cold wing. Part of me wonders if they might be better off in a separate coop or even another flock

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old, in months, are the birds?
    How big is the coop and run....in feet by feet?
    Pics of coop/run would help.
    Do they free range at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by